A&P Canon 1D Mark II

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by mojito, Jan 30, 2004.

1. mojito

mojito New Member

As people wake up and log-on in North America today they'll discover what Europeans have known for some hours — Canon has officially announced the EOS 1D MKII — capable of 40 frame bursts at 8.5 fps in JPEG, or 20 frame bursts in RAW mode, all from an 8 Megapixel CMOS chipped camera.

[​IMG]

The new Canon EOS-1D Mark II is the successor to the Canon EOS-1D which was announced and introduced at the end of 2001. This new generation of digital SLR almost doubles resolution with its new eight megapixel CMOS sensor, doubles the size of the continuous shooting buffer and increases continuous shooting speed very slightly. The EOS-1D Mark II can shoot eight megapixel images at a rate of 8.5 frames per second and buffer up to 40 frames before dropping down to a slower shooting rate. This adds up to a sensor to buffer data rate of approximately 100 MB/sec compared to the EOS-1D's 50 MB/sec, we can also estimate that the EOS-1D Mark II employs a 512 MB buffer, the EOS-1D needing only around 128 MB.

The EOS-1D Mark II is also obviously Canon's answer to Nikon's fast shooting D2H announced last year, it does appear however as though Canon are raising the bar with resolution and one would hope we can expect similar low noise performance from its CMOS sensor as we have seen from the same technology in the EOS 10D.

Putting the additional resolution and buffer size to one side there are also a variety of improvements and changes compared to the EOS-1D, not least of which a new version of Canon's DIGIC image processor, an extension of selectable ISO sensitivity, support for Secure Digital as well as Compact Flash and the addition of a USB port (although only USB 1.1). The SD slot and USB connector are interesting additions as they may hint towards potential future add-ons for this camera such as a wireless kit (pure speculation on my part at this stage).

more here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dmkii/

2. mojito

mojito New Member

3. TylerTX

TylerTX :noes:

That camera is so pimp I would buy it in a second if I could afford the $4500 price tag.

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I dont get it, why didnt they put usb2.0 on it... :hsugh: Thats only a minor niggle though, I look forward to a day when I can afford that level of camera :x:

5. Nickos

Nickos Active Member

it has firewire i think...

6. dmora

dmora Guest

werd :x: + the knowledge on how to use it.

7. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

yeah, the normal Canon 1D has firewire, this one should

8. mojito

mojito New Member

usb 1.1 and firewire

9. uflathead

uflathead Guest

Most people use card readers anyway so I don't think it's that important to worry about.

10. dmora

dmora Guest

:werd: I wish they would spare us the cost of adding USB and firewire and any other dopey outputs. :sad2: