A&P Canon 10D or wait for the 10D MK II?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ShackleMeNot, May 26, 2004.

1. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I've narrowed my DSLR search to the Canon 10D but while doing my recent research I read all the rumors about the 10D mark 2 being released some time soon.

Does anyone have any real information on when the MK II will be available and what the new features will be?

-smn

2. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

3. mojito

mojito New Member

good luck waiting, they haven't even finished a deisgn for it. It'll be announced in sept, but won't be available till spring. and what can they do, if it's 1.3x instead of 1.6 or a faster frame rate, it'll impeed on the 1dm2. expect 8mp, but 6 in a dslr is all you need anyways. I'm just hoping for a 45 point autofocus system

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

That's the kind of information I was looking for. I think I'll pull the trigger and get a 10D sooner rather than later. My main worry was buying a mark 1 and the mark 2 being released two weeks later.

Thanks,
    -smn

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Hum... this is a tough one. If I were you, I had wait. Depends on what you have already, the 300D is not THAT BAD. It feels like a toy, and light. Would be problematic with say 70-200 f2.8L IS on a tripod weight distribution wise. But it has almose all the features you need to take great pictures. Keep in mind that a DSLR body isn't gonna last as long as a flim body. So, for the difference in price between the 300D/10D. I had take the 300D, black one if happens to live in Asia. In case you don't know and is brave enough to try. The hacked firmware on 300D gives you about 90% of what you gonna get out of the 10D performance wise.

The next 10D mk2 or 10DN from some other sources. Is likely to have 8MP or more. Remember that both the Nikon and Canon camp back in the 1D/D1H time, had their D60/10D/D100 with more MP than the higher priced pro model. Of course 1D/D1H emphsis on speed.

So 8MP is very likely, more than 8MP is very possible as well. I think it will fall between 8-12MP. The problem is not so much about the MP, but rather ISO, N/S ratio, dynamic range that I would rather see some improvments.

45-pt focus system and the 1.3 crop larger cmos sensor probably wont' make it. But there's hope. Since Nikon is betting on the DX lenses. I think Canon will either respond with something with EF-S mount or start moving towards full frame. Now if they are serious about the EF-S mount, then I would suppose that the 1D mk2 will support it. But that's not the case. So, nothing major with EF-S anytime soon I would suppose.

Then in order to give their $1500 range wide-angle I think moving towards 1.3 crop factor is a logical move. The only disadvantage of that, is that they might not be able to take advantage of some lens designed for DSLR from sigma, but that's not that big of a lost, since they havn't come out with anything that produces serious picture quality at this point. But a lot of 10D buys already have a bunch of L lenses.

So, that was my 2 cents, and I had probably wait or get the 300D for now.

Oh, and the 300D does have a few things that I rate above D70. Namely the battery grip, and the wide selection of Canon lenses. I like the picture quality of the Nikon lenses, hence I went with the D70. But man, with the way it is going, I think 2 years later. I might actually switch system. If Nikon can't make something that can truely compete.