SRS Cannot Sleep

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by XJ3B, Jan 1, 2009.

1. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

This is probably the 6th or 7th day I have not been able to sleep. Its around 7am where I am. Yesterday I couldnt fall asleep until about 830am.

I am very tired but I lay there for hours.

There are some personal problems that I am dealing with that keep my mind running. My body is tired but my mind wont stop. I've tried counting sheep and listening to music.

Anything OTC I can take to induce sleep or help my mind stop running?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The thing is the mind is like a washing machine that tries to clean dirty thoughts. Because you are dealing with problems, the brain stem constantly gives signals to the Cerebrum to 'stay awake', what you need to realise is that some stains are unremovable, those clothes need to be 'thrown away'.

So the thing that will make you sleep is 'stop thinking about problems', however if you constantly think that you will never fall asleep.

When you lay down don't think, about problems or 'i need to sleep, i need to sleep' just say to yourself, im perfectly happy just laying here, and then you will fall asleep.

May i suggest not to make your heart a murderhole, trust me , nobody wants to talk about their personal problems, just pm me title + anonymous thread, and i'll post it in the Asylum for you, of course you're not forced, only if you want to, but its really not good to keep walking around with personal problems.

3. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

if it's been a week, you may want to go see a doctor. Have someone else take you.

4. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Try boiling up some iceberg lettuce like you would tea and then drinking the water. This sounds crazy but one time my mother gave it to me after I couldn't sleep for days and it knocked me out.

5. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

You'd probably want to go see a doctor. I dealt with three months of sleeplessness to the point of sleep deprivation. Mind you, I've never really been able to sleep all that well.

The doc gave me trazedone to sleep. I took it for about two days and my sleeping patterns are back to normal.

Sometimes a little bit of pharmaceutical intervention is required.

6. OTC = worthless

see a doctor and get some Lunesta or Ambien

7. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

take benadryl (not the daytime/non drowsy one, obviously). it's a mild anti-depressant and also helps you fall asleep. just take a regular dose and you should start feeling sleepy after about an hour or two. you will probably feel a little disoriented for a few hours the next day. I would suggest that you only take it one or two nights and if you have problems after this, see a doctor.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

have you tried the simple things like drinking a warm glass of milk?

9. Draege

Draege OT Supporter

Lie in bed. Do a quick mental rundown of all the problems / worries / goals etc that you would normally be thinking about. Next take into mind the big picture of the universe and all of life and how insignificant your problems in general are. Last, go back one by one to each of those previous things and trivialize them in the big picture of things and let those thoughts drift out of your worries for the time being.

10. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Or if the dude lives in Cali or other medicinal MJ states. :bowdown:

11. roose

roose Guest

Melatonin works for me.

Gives me fucked up dreams though.

12. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

improve your sleep hygiene, keep the lights low at night.

kava tea works for me

the one that has benefitted me the most by far is only use your bed for sleeping. if i ever build a house ill probably have a room that is just big enough for a nightstand and bed and the "bedroom" would just be a hangout room w/ tv and stuff

13. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

IF your truly having that bad of problems you may need to see a psychologists. About 7 years ago I was going through some very bad issues and family matters and literally no sleeping drug would knock me out over course of 9 months. It took quite a few therapy sessions to get me back into normal life.

I can remember one month I literally got something around 60 hours sleep the entire month. life was a blur then.

Anyway talk to a doctor one week is starting to be pretty long time for any normal issues.

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

If you see a psychologist specialized in sleep disorders, it might be pretty short. In 8-12 weeks, there can be a whole lot of improvement.

15. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

It doesn't sound like a sleep disorder. It sounds like he had a traumatizing experience and some form of depresion which is causing the sleep issue.

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Pills don't solve personal problems.

17. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Doesn't mean it's not a sleep disorder. Insomnia due to another problem is considered a sleep disorder if the problem is big enough that it could benefit from being treated on its own, for example. If it's a symptom of something else then having a professional opinion might help too.

18. red

red New Member

Melatonin. It's a hormone your body produces anyway, so it's not a crazy narcotic and you can get it over the counter (cheap!). It has always worked for me.

Take a melatonin, get in bed, and read something until your eyes won't stay open anymore.

19. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

What you're experiencing is a transient insomnia related to a life stressor - this is the kind of stuff where pharmaceutical intervention is appropriate, provided you address whatever stressor is causing the condition.

Don't go OTC - stuff like Benadryl, Simply Sleep, etc is all for one-night kind of trouble and has daytime sedation effects that you don't want.

Melatonin is pretty much useless. If it works for you, great. Don't be surprised one bit if it doesn't, though.

Best thing for you would be a regular 5 or 10mg Ambien or even Sonata - something that has a short half-life. In the mean time, work on addressing whatever problem popped up in your life and you'll be good to go in no time.

20. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

And the other thing is to not lay in your bed for hours not sleeping. If you can't fall asleep within 30 minutes or so, get up and go do something outside of your bedroom, like reading in a chair. Go back to bed when you're tired.

21. Inexlol

Inexlol New Member

hes right.

it sounds easier then it is but just forget about the problems.
    watch/listen to your fav movie when going to bed.

i LOVE fight club so when i go to sleep i put on fight club and just let it play and listen to it as i fall asleep, sometimes recite lines along with the movie, it helps me forget about everything.

movies i recommend for that are "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. fight club. trainspotting. pulp fiction" those work for me

maybe youll just get used to it? i used to not be able to sleep because of stuff going on that hadme stressed all the time and eventually i just got used to it i guess and now it doesnt bother me, i separate myself from the problems, which is probably not a good thing in a psychological sense but fuck it.

22. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

If it works, great. For 95% of the people out there though, this is a terrible idea. :hs:

23. 2500

2500 Guest

Did you happen to quit smoking recently? God, I quit for New Years, and I can't sleep worth a damn. Been laying in bed sleeping for 15 minutes on and off since midnight and its 3:20 now. Last night did the same thing from 2am till about 7am when I got a good solid 3 hours straight. Woke up, ate, and finally crashed for another 6. I think this is normal for after quitting smoking, but god I wanna smoke just so I can fall asleep.

24. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Turkey and swiss sandwich. Tryptophan and carbs ftw.

25. red

red New Member