Cannot run without pain

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DC9, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC9

DC9 New Member

I started running last September a lot. I eventually developed a stress fracture in my left shin. Saw a doc and she put a boot on my leg, I rested it and it healed completely. I started running again, working my distance and speed up gradually, but than my right knee started killing. It hurt so much I could barely walk up and down stairs. I saw the doctor and he said it was a problem with my cartilage. He gave me rehab and that helped a lot.

I ran for a little with no pain, then it came back. Both shins started killing and now my knee is hurting again. My form is good and I made sure I bought good running shoes (they cost $120 and fit my feet and arch perfectly). Yet I still continue to have constant running problems. I need to be able to run for my career (Army) and I keep having set backs. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop these injuries or supplements that could help?

2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

Running isn't for everyone..what's it gonna take for you to realize that it just may not be the activity for you? I don't have great hips/ankles, whcih takes running outta the picture for me.. we're not all designed equally :dunno:

3. DC9

DC9 New Member

I have to be able to run, my career depends on it. There has got to be a way to make it work.

4. rain_e

rain_e OT Supporter

I was in the same situation when I started running last year. After the first 2 months my knee was so bad I could barely walk. I took a month off and I started again. For me it seemed like changes in my form and mentality really helped. I read a book called Chi Running and it had some nice tips that really helped. It's worth a shot.

This is the book:
    http://www.amazon.ca/ChiRunning-Dan...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239600070&sr=8-1

5. donkeykong

donkeykong New Member

the knee sounds like patellofemoral pain syndrome.. pretty common problem. you should follow the rehab program the doc gave you for that again and if it is not working perhaps see a physical therapist. as for the shin soreness you could quite possibly be developing more stress fractures? unfortunately sounds like you need to take some time off running but if you must continue try to run on a grass surface and not concrete... or even water running. you might also benefit from foot orthotics if you have a need for them.. but having said all that you need to see a doc or physical therapist or podiatrist to work out exactly what is wrong.

6. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

Unless you're in an 18X or 11X field, you should be able to scrape by with a single 2 mile run, twice a year. Or just get approved to ride the bike / do the swim / skip the cardio event on your PT test. :dunno:

7. DC9

DC9 New Member

I will look into that, thanks.

That does sound like my knee problem. I was looking it up on Google just now and they recommend the same type of rehab I was doing for my knee, I'll try to see a doctor though.

My shins now feel like shin splints. I know what a fracture feels like and it does not feel like that. I know the only way to heal shin splints is to rest though.

I'm going to be an Officer. I cannot bitch out on shit like that.

8. PcH

PcH Guest

Are you sure you fully recovered from those injuries? Injuries are the worst thing for a runner. Trust me, I almost tore my achilles tendon from over training. :hs:

9. DC9

DC9 New Member

I know I fully recovered from the stress fracture. I had a follow up xray and the doc said it fully healed. After rehab, my knee felt 100%, but who knows, maybe there was something I didn't notice that wasn't right.

10. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

how much you weigh?

11. PcH

PcH Guest

How much mileage did you start off with after each injury? I basically started from scratch after my injury. I know it's rough, but hold back that eagerness to run more/harder after a serious injury.

12. northw3st

northw3st New Member

I have A LOT of problems with my left knee and shin, and i run 20 plus miles a week. my pain doesn't seem as bad as yours. do you have access to a pool? any time i would start running and feel a lot of pain, i'd finish whatever mile i was on and go swim for a while instead. and for some reason, it seems to be fixing itself.

13. DC9

DC9 New Member

I'm 6'1" and weigh 180lbs

Before the stress fracture, my first time ever running was 6 miles and that caused the stress fracture. After I healed from that I started with 1 mile, then worked myself up to 6 over a little over a month. Then I had to stop and rest again and now I run at most 3 miles at a slow pace and it is still killing.

I can try to do that, but it will be hard to because we do organized physical training and everyone has to do the same thing.

14. itisaniceday

itisaniceday New Member

running is your career?

15. PcH

PcH Guest

6'1", 180 lbs is not really heavy. GTlifter was asking because more weight = more wear on your joints (hence why you'll never see a good, fat endurance runner).

Anyway, 6 mi is a lot if you're a beginner. I was more concerned about weekly mileage. Even a 1 mile run can be pretty intense right after a stress fracture. I would keep it up with RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) after runs if you're not already doing so.

16. DC9

DC9 New Member

Running is important in the Army

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.