Cannot resize my primary partition

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by berryated, Aug 14, 2008.

1. berryated

berryated New Member

This is going to be long I suppose...

I cloned my old HD (30gb) onto a 160gb HD using Acronis True Image 11. There's a hidden partition on the old HD around 5gb, used for system recovery and what not (IBM). When I went to clone the drive, Acronis originally set the hidden partition on the new drive to be around 18gb, which is ridiculous and a waste of space. So I set it back to around 5gb, leaving 13 or so gb free and unallocated. Unfortunately, Acronis would not let me resize the primary partition to use up the unallocated space. It kept saying the 130gb primary partition was at its max.

I went ahead and cloned the drive with the existing issue in the hopes that Partition Magic would bail me out once the new HD was installed. Using PM 8.0, I tried to resize the primary partition, and once again it would not let me do so. I tried creating a partition with the unallocated 13g then merging it with the primary drive, but it gave me an error "there are no drives to be merged" or something. So now I have 13gb partition.

I know it's not that big of a deal, but I personally don't like partitions and would rather have everything together. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

2. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

have you tried gparted?

3. berryated

berryated New Member

Not sure what gparted is?

I updated my BIOS and that fixed the problem. PM8 still wouldn't let me "resize" the partition, however it let me "redistribute free space." Kind of weird, but it worked.

4. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

You may need to multi step the process, resize/remove teh 13GB to 5, commit. move the 5GB to the end, commit. then resize mthe 130, commit