Cannot find a Yamaha TW200 masterlink, umm, help?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MrBrotato, Sep 24, 2006.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Ok, I have an issue that is really starting to bother me. In JUNE I bought a Yamaha TW200. It is a 2005 with only 615 miles on it. The chain was pretty loose and I think I need to move the back tire back to tighten it, becuase I'm pretty sure the stress of me picking up the slack broke the master-link.

Anyways, the masterlink shot off while riding and its a simple fix, but I cannot find it! I haven't been able to ride since the day I bought the bike in june because I cannot find a masterlink anywhere :(. There are only 2 dealerships within 100 miles of me and neither of them have it. I have looked all over the internet and nowhere has it. I am on a waiting list on twowheelcorp.com for the part and they have informed me that the part was on back-order from Yamaha and they should get it September 1st.

Well September 1st rolled by, then a week, and I e-mailed the guy and he said the shipment still hasn't come in from Japan, so am I just going to be screwed for like a year? I want to freaking ride!!!

I am making this thread to find out if there are any alternatives, does anyone here have an extra master-link that will fit my bike, anything? Anyone work at a dealership that can get the part? I know posting this request here is a LONG shot, but I'm geting desperate.

2. noxxs

noxxs New Member

try ronayers.com or bikebandit.com

dont order the part but instead talk to a rep to see if they can get you the part

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I actually just found bikebandit through google, and did just that... Waiting for a reply e-mail. I just want to freaking ride, I'd paper-clip the chain together if it would hold more than a block :(. I even went into the dealership and was going to offer to buy one straight off a bike but they didn't even have any TW200's :(.

4. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

why dont you just find the correct sizing of the chain and go to fastenal. they have chain links there. or even take the chain in with you

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Fastenal? I have never heard of this place.

6. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

maybe its just a place around here that sells nuts and bolts and other misc. steel connecting equipment. try your local hardware store

7. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

You havent ridden the bike for 4 months because for 4 months because of a masterlink? Why not just buy a new chain? It cant be more than $75 on ebay for the small chain that would need.

8. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Because I don't want to spend the extra money... Also I wasn't sure if the chain would come with a master-link since the parts are listed seperately on every website I goto, which does not have masterlinks in stock so I wasn't sure if I would just get another chain with no link.

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

All new chains come with a master link. You cant sell an incomplete chain, just doesnt make sence.

As for the master link, there are plenty of places online to get them.

Here is the official infor from yamaha.

THe chain itself is a

DID 428hg - 122 links. (With the superceeded part number: 9Y5819712100)

The Master Link, or in Yamahas Vernacular, "Chain Joint" is a DID 428hg,(superceed part number: 946820900100)

Any Yamaha dealer should be able to order those for you, with those part numbers.

If you search a place like ebay, or some other site, look for a DID 428 HG master link, and you will be fine.

Also, try this site if you cant find them locally.
    http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/yamaha.aspx

THis is a shop ive done business with, and they havent done me wrong.

10. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I'll bookmark that website, thanks. Yeah I don't know what the deal was... I couldn't get either dealership near me to get the part. Both said it was out of stock, one told me he couldn't get it, the other told me they have never stocked the part. I also tried 3 or 4 websites which all said it was backordered and out of stock. I ordered from bikebandit and it was shipped yesterday, thanks guys.

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Cool.

As long as you ordered a 428HG, you should be golden.