Cannot Deleter From Source or Disk

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ap, Sep 1, 2003.

1. ap

ap New Member

Click here if your browser does not automatically
    ERROR DELETING FILE OR FOLDER. Cannot Delete File: Cannot Deleter From Source or Disk

What causes this. I was copying some files, my computer ended up bogging down in the process because I was very much doing to many things at once. Lately my computer has been less that cooperative, so I just turned it off manually, and restarted. Three random files showed up in the folder I was trying to copy stuff to. I can not delete them due to the aforementioned error. Right-click>Properties shows all three of the files to be 0 Bytes, and do not have an extension, but if I highlight the folder and let the yellow information box appear, it lists the files having last been modified 10/1/2029 and one file has grown to be 8 megs!!! What in the world is going on?

Cliff notes. Random file appeared on my computer in a nonessential folder. The file was created in the year 2029 and personal attempts to delete the files were failures. What gives?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

In "manually" turning off the computer, did you just power it off? Or did you shut it down via Windows and then turn it off?

If you powered down, its very likely Windows upchucked in that directory (especially if it was the last directory you were in before powering down).

Locked files means the OS won't let you delete the file because it feels its in use (regardless if it is or is not). So...

Either:
    1. Run scandisk and see if that cleans anything up (not likely, but if you powered down without "shutdown", then this will be a healthy thing to do).
    2. You have an application that is not playing nicely.
    3. You have a virus of some flavor that may be playing with that file or directory.

3. NevaTrustWhitey

NevaTrustWhitey New Member

1. virus scan
    2. start up in safe mode w/out networking and delete it as admin