Cannot access c drive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 0wn3d_productivity, Jan 14, 2004.

1. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

I have an old computer that I want to set up just for fun. It's from like 96 and is running Windows 95- yeah, I know. It won't boot up. When I put the recovery disk in the message I get is "sorry c drive cannot be accessed". Is it possible that the battery in the CMOS is dead, or is it more likely that something else is amiss? I haven't worked with Windows 95 in so long I'm really not sure what to do.

2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

the hard drive is seven years old. does it spin up? if it won't and you need data off it, you might want to put it in the freezer for a half hour.

3. 0wn3d_productivity

I can hear the hdd spin, but it won't boot. Thanks for the suggestion though. At first I didn't hear it spin and I was going to put it in the freezer, but then I did hear it.

4. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Has the harddrive been partitioned/formatted?

5. 0wn3d_productivity

Well, it worked until a few days ago (hasn't been used in a while though). The last time it was reformatted was probably 4 or 5 years ago- but it hasn't been used much since. Can I reformat with it like this?

6. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Can't hurt to try since it is acting like you can't use it right now anyway.
    I'm assuming you don't have any critical data on it since you're just doing it for fun.

7. 0wn3d_productivity

Yeah- nothing I care about. I wonder if I could load Windows 98 on it- I still have a copy of that. How would I go about putting 98 on?

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Boot the machine off a floppy and go to fdisk. Setup a partition and format the drive, reboot with a floppy that has CD-ROM drivers on it and run setup from the drive.