A&P Cannon Rebel XT/20D/30D, how sturdy are they?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jdw, Aug 3, 2006.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

I realize the differences in body build (20D/30D being that magnesium or whatever it is, XT is plastic isn't it?).

Picking up one of the above soon and wondering if the protection plan is worth it. Just how fragile are DSLR cameras?

I don't intend on throwing it around (that much money, it'll be duct-taped to my hand) but there's always the possibility of an accidental bump against something. Also curious how sensitive they are to heat/cold, condensation, and small amounts of moisture. Will probably be shooting a lot in the winter and the transition between cold outdoors and a warm vehicle is bound to produce some condensation (unless there's a foolproof way around it).

Thinking about picking up the camera from a local ritz so I can put it on the 10 month no interest plan, but really not overly anxious to pay nearly $300/year for the coverage plan, especially if it's not really worth it. Granted it covers cleaning too, but still.

Have a similar plan on my laptop but that goes everywhere with me.

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

If it's $300 a year it's not worth it.

For moderate to extreme environments I might pay $50 a year..... maybe (for a 30D)

If I had a D1s MKII N then I might be willing to pay $300 a year, but those bodies are extremely robust to begin with.

3. jdw

jdw New Member

that'd deffinetly be more in line.

I think the biggest thing I'm worried about it surviving is a big camping/racing event and it getting banged around with everything else I haul for the weekend, but a hard case would be cheaper and would take care of that problem. If it can make it through that 4 day weekend, it'll survive anything else I'll throw at it.

So for anyone whos dealt directly with Cannon on warranty work, what kind of turnaround time was it? I about shit when they said 2 months at Ritz.

Still curious what everyone does for shooting in winter and combating condensation. I read somewhere wrapping (this was for an old VHSC) the camera in a towel would take care of it.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

real insurance :bigthumb:

like a good neighbor, state farm is there

5. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

don't buy it at ritz. if you really need to finance, I think paying interest somwhere else would be cheaper than ritz's retail price. try www.bhphotovideo.com (20d for $1000 right now I think)

the 20d/30d will feel more sturdy than the xt, but if you drop them they are both probably going to suffer some damage. Keep the neck strap on, and get a good case for protection.

6. Blair

Blair New Member

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

30D is awesome

8. jdw

jdw New Member

o'rly? Might have to look into that.

I think I'll probably go 30D. BH is $150 cheaper than Ritz i guess ($1250 vs $1400 for the body only). $1760 for body with a Cannon IS lens.. hmm

Don't ~really~ need to finance but with graduation just around the corner I like to keep as much money in the accounts as possible as long as possible.

Decisions... Have 3 weeks to have a camera in my hands and preferably have some shooting done.

9. 30d is pretty nice, I sometimes find myself neglecting and being careless with mine. It's pretty solid, i've already bumped it against many walls, dropped one of my school books on it. I have a nice camera bag but I always leave my camera around everywhere, ther other day I accidentally tossed a pile of clean laundry ontop of my camera I couldnt find it for about 2 days, I thought I lost my camera or someone stole it. :mamoru:

10. credit and hurry up and pay it off before the end of the month finance charges ftw! :)

11. jdw

jdw New Member

see, if I financed it I'd have money to pick up a good zoom lens for the racing event I want to shoot labor day weekend :cool:

Ain't got a credit card (I'd get in trouble with one), not that I want to pay rates that high.

12. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

too bad you don't have a CC otherwise you could rent a telephoto lens

13. jdw

jdw New Member

from where would be my question. Debit card would probably cut it in that situation.

although the rent would better be spent on buying a telephoto, I'd use it a lot I'm sure. Maybe not this fall/winter, but next spring/summer during race season.