SRS cannabis(marijuana, pot, weed) and prozac

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by untoastytoast, Jan 21, 2007.

1. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

Let me start out with a little background info. I've been depressed for a few years now, but i was only perscribed prozac january of last year, so about a year ago. since then i haven't really felt the effects of it until recently, and they have gradually increased the dose from 10 to 40mg per day. I started smoking weed sometime in october, and i didn't really feel any worse when i only did it a few times a week. I started smoking a lot more, culminating at a few times a day around new years. Because of final exams, i (wisely) decided to take a break, and didn't smoke for about two weeks. During that two weeks, i felt progressively better, as in my general mood, and my confidence in social situations, and self esteem wise. This, in conjunction with the fact that my psychiatrist tells me studies have been done that show that weed decreases the effectiveness of prozac, leads me to believe that quitting smoking would cause me to become less depressed. Another thing that supports this is that i smoked for the first time in about two weeks on thursday, and a good amount of the day after i felt horrible, like i didn't want to talk to anyone, and that no one really likes me. Just generally a lot more depressed. I don't want to give up smoking totally because i enjoy it a lot, so i decided to perhaps cut back to once a week or so, and see if this doesn't affect my medication as much. Basically the point of this thread was to see if anyone has any input/experience with this, or if there actually are studies to support this. Sorry for the long post, but i thought i might get some good answers here.

2. smithers

smithers OT Supporter

GIVE up the weed. honestly, the only thing it really is doing for you is helping to pass the time. it has no therapeutic value at all, especially for your situation. on occasion it can be fine, but at the frequency you do it in is definitely hurting you more than helping.

the prozac/weed incompatibility your doctor mentioned is perfectly legitimate, and you should follow that advice. you said it yourself that life is a lot easier to get by without the weed, so go for it. it is only going to proliferate and sustain any feelings and your lack of confidence caused by your depression. coupled with the laziness, sleepiness, and general inactivity, you really aren't doing anything for yourself.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  3. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Yup, he is 100% correct. My friend was JUST prescribed prozac a few days ago and that was the first thing he asked about. He has stopped smoking since then as well.

Seriously the best idea would be to just stop smoking completly. Be responsible man it's only a plant you aren't missing out on much.

4. untoastytoast

:hs: yeah, after about 5 minutes of contemplative thought, i've realized it isn't worth it to deprive myself from what could become happiness in my life.

5. Persephone

Persephone New Member

I hope you mean that and don't bs. :squint:

6. untoastytoast

haha. yeah i just reread that and it sounds cheesy/fake, but i really do mean that.

7. TonyMontana

TonyMontana Black and Gold

I used to smoke weed everyday for a period of about 2 years. I found that progressively near the end that my self esteem and confidence would drop completely after blazing. I couldnt handle social situations and have since then completely stopped.

8. smithers

smithers OT Supporter

take some time off WITHOUT the weed and figure things out. you will realize that you dont need the plant to "enjoy" life :hsd:

9. smithers

smithers OT Supporter

good luck!

10. sp0rk in the ear

sp0rk in the ear New Member

Same exact thing with me. I find I am just all around better off not touching it.

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Marijuana will irritate your depression and counter-act the anti-depressant. Whether you want to do that to yourself is up to you.