GUN Cancelled my Springfield XD layaway and bought this instead...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Whalephat, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

[Glock Model #23]

I just read way too many bad things about the XD over on the HS2000 / XD forums and couldn't bring myself to sink money into a weapon that was prone to rusting or jamming. :hs: Both of those seem like common problems with the XD from what I have read over there.

I already have a Glock 27, but I am selling it to a friend -- so the Glock 23 is really a "wash" and I am going to buy something ELSE this weekend as well; perhaps another H&K USP40. I have kicked myself for selling my last USP40 and swore that one day I would own another. This may be that day.

Anyway, the 23 was a nice alternative to the XD. Basically the same size and it fits most of my existing holsters. :)

2. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

Good choice!! I have a G19 and I love it...great gun!

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Its the same gun except that the handle on the G23 is about 1.5" shorter, I shot them side by side and they were equal. Except the glock is almost $100 more.

4. Whalephat

Well, the Glock's finish is awesome and I've never had my G27 jam on me... so I'm sure the $100 difference is worth it in this case. Sucks, I wanted the XD originally and hoped to save some cash.

5. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

except it's not the exact same thing...thanks for trying

6. Otsego Hive

Otsego Hive Wait, what? We're being swapped?

the glock is a better choice. i've heard too much negative about the XD. mostly in terms of reliability

7. Whalephat

Same here. A quick glance over at www.hs2000talk.com is all that is needed to find countless threads about rust, jamming, etc.

I like my weapons to be reliable. :hs:

8. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I carry a G23 daily as my CCW, its a good gun at good price. What kinda holster ya gonna be using with it? I've got a Mitch Rosen USD, and it rides perfect for me.

9. Whalephat

I dunno yet. I have a Don Hume semi-open pancake holster for my G27 and figured I'd start by looking at what they have to offer for the 23. Maybe a SOB, or maybe a Yaqui slide.

:dunno:

Will have to look at that Mitch Rosen USD too! :cool:

10. Gundam

Gundam Tell Drama he's on my to do list, right after inse

I still plan on getting an XD since it has all the features that I would like to have in a pistol. The rusting isn't a problem for me. That just gives me a reason to send in the slide to have SA Armory Kote it for free :dunno:

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Going from the Don Hume you should be quite surprised how nice the Mitch Rosen actually feels. I used a Don Hume awhile back with a crappy Keltec P11, and it just felt absolutely horrible. I would try and find someone in your area with some different style holsters and see if they wouldn't mind letting you borrow em. Before I got the Mitch Rosen I couldn't imagine spending a $100 on a holster, but its well worth it.

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i was thinking about picking up an XD, are they problems really that bad? :sad2:

13. Y2kAccord

yeah both polymer finish .40 cal guns... they arent anything alike.. if you cant read waht I said.. dont reply.
    I never said they were exactly alike. I said the size was the same except for the handle being longer on the XD and side by side they were equal as far as reliability and accuracy fit and finish etc

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  14. Y2kAccord

It won NRA gun of the year last year.. it cant be too bad

15. Whalephat

You've got to stop and consider that reviews in gun mags and so-forth are always based off of first impressions and rarely off of long-time use; especially if it is a gun that's new to the market.

I spent a good amount of time over on the HS2000 / XD forums searching, reading and asking ... and I kept hitting those two issues (rust and jamming) time and time again.

For lack of a better term, the sack riders over at XD Talk offer up suggestions like 'Just send it back to Springfield for Armory Kote" or "Send it off to Tripp Research for their Cobra Chrome finish" as if that is an acceptable solution for a virtually brand new handgun when it starts to rust.

They also talk about the need to polish the feed ramp and chamber to prevent jamming as if that's just a natural thing that everyone has to do with any handgun. :eek3:

Now polishing a ramp isn't exactly brain surgery, but I've NEVER had to do it with my Glocks, my SIG or my HK weapons. I took those guns right out of the box and started shooting with them. Very little maintenance or finessing required.

Springfield's XD may be a bargain on the front end and may look just like a Glock, but it's not a Glock and it's what you end up spending as time passes just to keep it in top shape that turned me off to them. And that really is a shame as far as I'm concerned because I like the way the XD looks, I like the way it feels in my hand and I liked the lower price tag.

I guess you just get what you pay for. :hs:

16. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

No, go to any gun forum about any gun... they all have problems. I love my XD and have never had any problems with it at all. No jamming... and all you have to do to keep it from rusting is keep it oiled. I loved it way more than a glock. I know everyone says glocks are indestructable... but compared to my XD... the Glocks felt sloppy and cheap. Just my opinion.

If you're really worried about rust... just send it away and have it hard chromed or armory coated. But like I said... keep it cleaned and oil... like you should... and you won't have any problems.

17. Whalephat

I just can't agree with you on that at all. Have you ever owned a Glock?

18. Whalephat

And by that time you've spent $200-300 on top of what the XD originally cost you which puts it into the same price range as a Glock or a USP. And that is a bracket in which the XD really cannot compete if the experiences of dozens of other XD owners are true.

Don't get me wrong, guys... I was THIS close to buying an XD-40 and changed my mind at the last minute. There are just too many people out there who *are* having problems with those guns for me to have felt comfortable with it.

19. Whalephat

I agree -- but it's the consistency of the same problems over and over that set the XD apart from the complaint threads on other gun forums. If you go to the XD Talk forum and look on Page 1 of their general discussion, you will see no less than four threads about rusting and about the same number of threads about having to polish the feed ramp to avoid jamming / or just about jamming in general.

Complaint threads about substandard construction quality are not that common at all over on Glocktalk. :hs:

20. Y2kAccord

I didnt own one, but I spent an afternoon at the range shooting them side by side.. that was my impression

21. Y2kAccord

Glocks just blow up though... :o

22. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

One thing is clear Glocks are better for their resistance to rust. For a daily carry gun that can be very important.

Too many people shoot 200 rounds through a pistol and think it's passed some kind of reliability torture test. Anyone here have an XD that has 15,000+ rounds through it? I’m sure they are out there but the “I shot one at a range one time” posters aren’t really qualified to be experts on the XD’s reliability.

23. Whalephat

Oh god... you don't seriously buy into the notion that Glock invented the so-called "Ka Boom" do you? That shit's been going on since the dawn of the 1911. Only thing is, when a 1911 does it, it blows the whole grip apart.

It's a rare, rare thing on any handgun and I guarantee that sooner or later an XD will do the same thing. Can I come back into this thread and rub your nose in it when it does?

24. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

True. You got us there.

25. Whalephat