MIL Canadian's in Afghanistan have been told Geneva Rules don't apply to Taliban

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jason H, May 31, 2006.

1. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060530.wxdetainee30/BNStory/Afghanistan/home

From my thread in main.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

During WTC one of our Drill Sgts was doing some informal training with us on how to properly detain and handle enemy combatants in a combat environment.

He went over everything from the capture through disarming them and patting them down for hidden weapons and seperating them from each other and bystanders and what we were and weren't allowed to ask them per the geneva convention. This session went on for over an hour, with a lot of Q&A thrown in, and I could tell the DS was feeling pretty proud of the training he had given us.

When he was ready to wrap it all up, he asked for any final questions. I raised my hand and said "I understand how all this applies to enemy forces, but I'm not sure how we apply Geneva Convention rules to al qaeda."

He started to reply and then he stopped and thought about it for a few seconds. Then he told me to give him 50 for asking a question that didn't have an answer. :hsugh:

3. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

. In 1977, a fifth draft of the Geneva Convention was penned in response to the increasing number of insurrections and guerrilla wars taking place around the world. This extended the protection of the Geneva Convention to all participants in these wars, which they previously did not enjoy because of the stipulation in Chapter 2 which requires them to operate openly, have a fixed leadership structure, and behave "in accordance with the laws and customs of war".
    This last Geneva Convention is somewhat more controversial, and only about half of the countries who signed the 1949 version have also signed the newer one. The United States and Great Britain are two notable abstainers from the latest draft. The central problem is that, guerrilla warfare aside, this new description could conceivably be applied to terrorist groups as well, who might then be able to use the tenets of the Convention to their advantage.

4. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

You answere'd a question with another answere aswell. My article still implies what it said and that they have no right (under our flag anyways or US/British) that they (Terroists/Guirrila's) would be covered by Geneva Conventions.

5. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Loopholes right, the rest wrong. You cannot use .50 cal snipers on combatents/people but you can use it on equippment. Like a vest/backpack they are wearing. Even their rifle. If their body gets in the way than oops :mamoru:

6. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

:rofl:

7. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i asked that same question in basic

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Did you get a real answer? All I got was a couple of dead arms. :wtc:

10. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Hmm interesting, thought it was under the same ban for use against humans as the Flame thrower.

I'm just a civvie so don't hurt me :mamoru:

11. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Interesting read.

12. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I practiced on a .50 cal in Iraq with a certain special forces group... We practiced on a silhouette of a human (I will not continue on this subject). They trained on this silhouette for their missions and trust me, I'm qualified expert, it was too easy to hit a target from over a mile away. And to finish my point... If you shoot an AT-4 at a military uniform or a PAIR OF GLASSES you are in the right.

13. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

The original subject was about .50 calibre sniper rifles. Not crew served .50 cal's and emplacements. Since the subject is dead lets move on shall we?

14. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

you want me to edit my post? When I said .50 cal I meant a sniper rifle... Why not ask probably the only person on here except maybe gtcrispy that has fired one??? But yeah, I'm about 100% sure I'm right.

15. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Not bitter, I thought when I read I saw something about crew served .50 cal and thats why I ment to say .50cal Sniper rifles like Mcmillen.

:fawk: Grammar nazi.

16. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

hell no i didnt

17. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

so the US didn't sign it? then why is everyone bitching about torture? we gave them no protection, therefore we're in the right

18. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

Yea this kind of war we're seeing in A-stan and Iraq if you look at the big picture is something new that's for sure :hs: