MIL Canada suffers second female combat casualty in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Off, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Off

Off Memento Mori

well I've been debating posting this all day. The only other RIP thread I've posted was when we lost 13 in a month, back in December. But I guess this is another grim milestone :sad2:

[​IMG]

For her regiment's sake, she was 12e RBC, the 12th Royal Armoured Canadian Regiment.

Speedy recovery to the injured troops.

Rest in Peace, Trooper Blais.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

3. zhiniibob

zhiniibob CLUB ASTROS NOW OPEN OT Supporter

Fuckin sucks :hs:

4. Julius

Julius Guest

absolutely terrible. she was very beautiful.

hopefully the other four will recover quickly.

5. stax9

stax9 Member

RIP Trooper

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

What rank

7. Off

Off Memento Mori

Trooper

An armoured Private, after British military tradition.

8. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Got it. I saw that and thought it was a general reference like Airman, Soldier, Marine...etc. We call our Soldiers Trooper sometimes.

9. Zee

Zee New Member

Damn....

The Taliban are getting more sophisticated by the damned month

RIP Trooper Blais

10. Off

Off Memento Mori

Media circus has begun. Fucking idiot.

Caring for Karine
    Sending our daughters to war in Afghanistan is just wrong

By MICHAEL COREN

Last Updated: 18th April 2009, 3:22am
    So Canada sacrifices another victim on the altar of equality.

Last week a young girl dressed up as a soldier died in the increasingly futile and pointless war in Afghanistan. She was 21 years old, had been in the country for two weeks on her first tour of duty and probably weighed a little over 100 pounds.

Please know that I mean no disrespect to Karine Blais or to her family and I grieve for her and them. But what on earth was she doing in such a place and in such a job?

Look at the photograph of this beautiful girl. Look at the innocence, the gentleness, the grace. All of them precious aspects to the human character. So when I say that she was "dressed up as a soldier" I mean it as a compliment. I've known soldiers all of my life and I have an invincible respect for them. I've seen their courage, integrity and sheer decency.

I've also seen their capacity for controlled and righteous violence, which is absolutely essential for any fighting man. Yes, man. Because there are few if any women who have the skills required to serve as a front-line combat trooper.

Yes, yes, yes, I know it's fundamentally anti-Canadian to say this but I'd prefer to articulate the views of the silent majority than hide behind some modernist fetish that places more importance on the myth of absolute equality than the safety of a girl who should be laughing with college friends rather than fighting theocratic madmen.

Can we really imagine for a moment that if a group of Taliban tribesmen rushed a trench or an encampment this poor young woman could fight them off, could deal with the thrusts of their long knives and heavy clubs? Do we seriously think that the men in the unit would not risk their own lives to protect a pretty young girl who was inevitably being beaten to the ground by salivating killers?

The very reason we have various weight categories for all forms of organized fighting is that whatever the training, a pugilist's weight and muscle bulk give an advantage to the heavier combatant.

More than this, even contrived cultural denial should not prevent us from admitting that the death of a daughter or a wife is different from that of a son or a husband. Women nurture, give birth, care in a way that is unique. Quite simply, they are different from men.

If captured, of course, such a woman would be repeatedly raped. And tortured. Again, I'm not meant to say this. Not Canadian, not CBC, not Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Not the sort of thing we're supposed to feel, so we pretend that men and women in the army, police and fire service are given the same tests and have to fulfil the same requirements. Yet truth still breaks through.

We rightly condemn Islamic extremists in Afghanistan because they treat women so badly. Then we allow one of our own to give her life so that we can congratulate ourselves on how liberal and egalitarian we are, lie about how gender difference don't matter and then encourage our generals and politicians to obscure the truth on television about soldiers and causes.

What hypocrites we have become. Poor, poor Karine -- this is not the way it should have been.

You and your country deserved better.

:hsugh:

He doesn't mention all the women MPs over there. He doesn't mention all the female combat medics, sigs who all pull through fine. He doesn't mention all the other combat arms chicks who've been over, repeatedly and have come back. Women make up as much 10-20% of all combat arms NCOs in the reserves.

He skews the facts; yes, for the xpress test women have a lower standard than men, but the standard even for young men (ie the highest) is still ridiculously low, talking a 6 on the 20m beep test, which is why the army doesn't even use it after basic.

In the combat arms the training system prevents all of his points from happening. We have very few instructors who do nothing but teach. Most are pulled from their battalions and return afterwards, the only exception is if they are good troops, with lots of experience, who are broken and undeployable. If you have a course with 40 recruits on it, 99% of them are going to the same regiment and 90% to the same battalion. Often, as in my case, the instructors are from the exact same battalion the course is going to.

It is not in their best interest to let weak troops through the training, these troops will be broken, either physically or mentally and sent on their merry way because if they aren't it will cost the instructors their lives and the lives of their buddies.

We had a chick on our course and I'd trust her with my life 11ty times over before I'd trust the cocksucker who wrote that article who thinks he can do better because he's a man.

11. Zee

Zee New Member

What a Selfrighteous Douchbag

:squint:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  12. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

What a douche.

RIP

13. Off

Off Memento Mori

what the fuck?

Canadian soldier found dead on Afghan base

JESSICA LEEDER

April 24, 2009 at 3:07 AM EDT

Kandahar, Afghanistan — The lifeless body of a female Canadian soldier was found in her Forces' accommodation room Thursday afternoon at Kandahar Air Field.

Throughout the night caution tape blocked entry to the white, two-storey building in a Canadian section of the camp where Major Michelle Mendes' body was found.

Investigators are still working to piece together the circumstances of the 30-year-old's death, meaning few details about the incident or Maj. Mendes herself are being released. However, a military spokesman here did say that "enemy action has been ruled out."
    Officials have refused to identify the Ottawa-based soldier's home unit.

Major Michelle Mendes - Photo at link

They have confirmed that in Afghanistan she was assigned to Task Force Kandahar, Canada's headquarters operation. Her specific trade at headquarters has not been publicly specified and it is unclear how long she had been in theatre.

According to public records, this is not Maj. Mendes' first deployment to Afghanistan. She first deployed here in 2006 as a captain with the Ottawa-based 154 Squadron working in intelligence, according to a community newspaper profile published in August of that year.

In that article, published in the Colborne Chronicle, Maj. Mendes' mother, Dianne Knight, explained that her daughter, who graduated with a history degree in 2001 from Kingston's Royal Military College, wanted "an entire career in the army." Originally, Ms. Knight said in the article, her daughter planned to go into the infantry, but opted instead for intelligence.

"I was thrilled," Ms. Knight said. "It's right up her alley. She spends the majority of her time reading and analyzing things, and she's so good at it."

At the time, Ms. Knight said her daughter's outlook regarding the deployment was positive.

"I wouldn't say she's upset about going at all. A lot of her friends have been and come back, and a lot of her friends were going when she was going. She has a very positive attitude," she said.

However, things went quickly awry for Maj. Mendes on that first deployment. In September of 2006 a number of Canadian troops were wounded in a friendly fire incident that capped off one of the country's most bloody and intense operations of the war to date, Operation Medusa. It was during that multi-day battle, which took place in the volatile Panjwayi district, that a platoon of Canadian troops were mistaken as enemy by an American pilot flying an A-10A aircraft. One soldier was killed and more than 30 were injured in the incident.

It is not clear what Maj. Mendes' involvement in that incident was. However, she and about 10 other injured soldiers were returned to Canada for treatment in the second week of September, 2006.

Military officials in Kandahar said that Maj. Mendes' family has asked for privacy and will release a statement in the coming days. The 2006 newspaper profile identified her husband as Victor Mendes, who was at the time a soccer coach at RMC.

Major Michelle Mendes
    [​IMG]

RIP Ma'am

14. kazimer

kazimer New Member

15. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

RIP.

I am going there at some point in the near future.