GUN Canada is on the verge of seeing some real change

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copeland, Jan 7, 2010.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

We're all crossing our fingers up here to get rid of the long gun registry. Our Prime Minister is really developing himself as a sensible leader. So much so, he took a bit of a folly at US policy, comparing it to our horrible gun registry

PM likens war on terror to faulty gun registry
    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics/2010/01/05/12357611-qmi.html
    By Kathleen Harris - Parliamentary Bureau [​IMG]

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Stephen Harper has accused the Americans of taking a faulty "gun registry approach" to national security.
    In an interview with CBC's The National to air tonight, the PM signals strong concerns about the U.S. approach to counter-terrorism when asked about that country's recent decision to impose more stringent security measures on travellers from 14 designated nations.
    In a clip aired earlier today on CBCNN, Harper suggested security trumps ruffled diplomatic feathers, but hinted Canada could take a different approach than the U.S.
    "It's not about diplomatic relations, these are often about other considerations. It ultimately in this case has to be about the possibility of a security threat and dealing with that. As I say, we're going to look at these measures very carefully and we may arrive at different conclusions," he said. "The one concern I do have about this — and I have expressed this to American leaders — I see what I call the "gun registry approach" to a lot of security issues, which is 'Let's just put everybody on a list, register everything.' We know from our own experience with our gun registry that this is not necessarily the smartest and most effective way to actually identify real threats."
    Harper said he hopes security clampdowns, which will "invariably" cause some changes in mass procedure, will be "intelligent" responses that "effectively identify threats before they happen, as opposed to massive bureaucratic sets of rules."
    According to CBC, the PM also launched a "vigorous" defence of his decision to prorogue Parliament — a move lambasted by the opposition parties as an abuse of power.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Awesome. I got my fingers crossed too for you guys!

3. KMD

KMD New Member

Stevie rocks.
    I am so happy the way this country is finally going after so many years of lieberal corruption.

4. einhander

einhander OT Supporter

Good luck.

As a CA resident, I know how you guys feel.

5. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

yet it took a private members bill to finally get a vote in parlament. I just don't see how him referencing something like that means anything toward our gun laws laxing.