can you tell me if this is ok?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Exiled, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Exiled

Exiled New Member

[​IMG]

I wish I knew more, but I dont.. my computer has been running a bit sluggish, i've done a ton of things you guys told me to do.. I installed avg, zone alarm, a defrag prog and all of that and I still run into some slow stuff.

Example, i'll open outlook 2007 and it's just... laggy opening.. I dont know why, it used to open quick..

anyway, nothing stands out for me, maybe it will for you

2. trano

trano Guest

i'd back up all my stuff than reformat.

3. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I guess maybe I will do that this weekend, was kind've dreading that

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Have you ran a defrag lately?

One thing to consider if you're going to reformat, is to buy a backup drive.

Then after you've reinstalled everything, and gotten all your updates applied,
    you run a backup program (I highly recommend Acronis True Image), and drop an image of your clean install onto the backup drive.
    The next time you wind up with problems like that, you can be running the fresh install in less than 10 minutes.

You can get the newest 32mb cache Seagate 250gb for $80 shipped,
    and Acronis is $36 shipped.

I guarantee you that would be the best $116 you've spent in a long time.

5. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Well ive been using this old 80 gig for storage, maybe what i'll do is just put all the shit on that drive on the drive im using.. it's one of those regular 250g sata's from best buy or some shit. Thing is though, if I do that.. the drive has windows on it.

Is it going to try and boot that drive when I install the new one.. and.. if it doesnt, how is my PC going to react to that drive since it has windows on it..

(i'd rather it wasn't on it.. but how else am I going to save my data)

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

hell, if you are buying a new drive, take out your old one and install the new one. then install everything fresh there. after you get it working, add your original back as a secondary drive so you aren't losing anything first.

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well, you can bounce the data around back and forth as needed, but ideally you
    would wind up with the fresh install of windows on teh 80gb drive.
    Also on that drive, would be a copy of Acronis that you would use to drop the image
    of the fresh install onto the 250gb drive.

As far as the 250gb drive wanting to boot up, it's best to disconnect the 250gb drive during the install. That way, windows for-sure will assign the letter C to the 80gb drive. If you leave the other drive in there during the install, it may assign it some other letter, which can tend to mess you up down the road.

And since you already have the extra drive, you only need Acronis, which is $36, and worth every penny the very first time you use it.
    I have a good walkthrough I can give you, if you get Acronis 11.0

8. Exiled

Exiled New Member

So basically the C drive I have now I will just disconnect during the install, then, when I DO connect it.. it's going to assign it another letter?

9. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I guess what im having a hard time with is.. if im going to make my primary hard drive that I have windows on my backup drive.. if I buy a new HD and install windows on it (while my current hd is disconnected) when I hook it up is the C on both drives going to cause my computer to explode killing me instantly.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, that's how it works.

11. Exiled

Exiled New Member

no explosions?

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No explosions.

If your disk is IDE, make sure to set the new one to Master and the old one to Slave. Right now, the old one is set to Master, because that's just how IDE works.

If your disk is SATA, then you don't need to worry about Master and Slave, because there aren't any.