Can you Talk me Out of buying a FW900

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mandilater, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Mandilater

Mandilater One abortion away from being your father...

SO I am looking for a new monitor(s) for my coreI7 after searching for a few hours on the internet I just can't find a single LCD that can give me the performance / price as the sony fw900. Jesus I do not want another 99lb Mon. so please send me in the right direction I play games heavily and do alot of 3d modeling color and performance are a must lag is unacceptable. The only reason I am even thinking of LCD is the sheer size (28inch wide screens make me hard) I have a couple of pc's and use a few mitsu diamond monitors that have been nothing but fantastic but I would really like to game in wide screen. Currently I can get a FW900 local (refurbed) for 200-400$
    Suggestions please I need to go buy this shit soon my head is going to explode going back and fourth between hammer, maya and the web.

2. Mandilater

please?

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

4. Mandilater

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

srsly,... current LCDs still can't beat a well calibrated CRT in the criteria you mentioned.
    you'll just have to accept that fact.

if size is indeed an issue, let the fw900 go and just find the best LCD that you can afford.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

seen the Sun GDM-FW9010 go for about 100 on ebay, local pickup, almost bought that one...

heard sgi version of it was better...

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Any LCD with a Philips panel will give you the color rendition you want. I got an LG Flatron for my brother and he was thrilled with how much better he could distinguish similar colors compared to the old MAG Innovision POS screen he had before.

Besides, to really make sure something looks good, you have to check it on multiple different types of screens, because not everyone will have a nice screen like you do. Same thing goes for music; pro recording engineers always play their mixes in rental cars and on cheap headphones to make sure there's enough "obvious" stuff in the music for people without good equipment to be able to enjoy it. That's probably the single biggest reason classical music dropped off the charts when home stereos were invented, because most of them just don't have the dynamic range to make it sound good, and nobody wants to listen to music that doesn't sound good. Same goes for whatever visual art stuff you're doing.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

lulz, no

the fw900 is a tough SOB to beat
    people usually compare these to Apple Cinema Displays (LG panel) and other high-end stuff but the fw900 still shits on them.
    this is why movie production companies and game developers still use CRTs, the fw900 among the favorites.

it has perfect colors,.. and there's the 0 lag,... at a $400 price point.
    i don't see any lcd that can win in that criteria