A&P Can you take a bulb exposure longer than 15 minutes using the remote?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TtamNedlog, Sep 29, 2007.

1. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

I was trying to experiment with some bulb exposures, but I got nowhere fast when I realized I didn't own a remote (D80/N75). I was thinking of getting one, but I notice the setting in the D80 menu stating how long it remains responsive to the remote. 15 minutes is the maximum.

What if I wanted to make an hour long bulb exposure using the remote? Would the remote still be able to close the shutter after 15 minutes? The N75 and D80 work with the same remote, so I assume they'd work the same in this respect.

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

i've had exposures longer than 15 mins with the d80, but you realllllllly don't want to go past that with the amount of noise that will be made.

3. TtamNedlog

TtamNedlog OT Supporter

How did you get the exposure longer than 15 minutes? Surely you didn't hold the shutter release that long. And yeah I know the noise would start getting out of hand, but I'm primarily curious for the N75.

4. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

i made a 15 minute exposure with my d70 using my little finger, and it was free. woooo

5. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I'm pretty sure on the D70 I can get them as long as 30 mins. You click the shutter button on the remote once and click it again to close it (I think after 30 mins it closes automatically, though). Not too sure about the D80 but it's prob. the same thing.

6. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

Not sure if they use the same as the d200, but my MC-36 has a hold feature, I've personally taken exposures around 30 minutes long of the midnight sky...

but once again, I'm not sure if they use the mc-36.

7. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I had the IR remote and had the bulb setting on Manual. Pressed the button to open the shutter, timed out a beer's worth of exposure, then pressed the button again. Unfortunately i didn't have long exposure noise reduction on, so i got purple on the two upper corners. If you turn long exposure noise reduction, it's supposed to help with that, but it takes about 5 mins for the camera to process it.

8. wisie

wisie New Member

What kind of stuff will you be doing? As stacking your exposures seems popular to reduce noise