Can you run Windows 2000 Server without a C:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Insight, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Insight

Insight Guest

Have been charged with the duty of creating a Windows 2000 Server comp with no C:

The problem is legacy s/w, and they are allowing me no leeway for a work-around; meaning the s/w must be used as is.

Currently we run Windows NT, but the method used for that OS is not working for Server 2k.

Help please?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'm beyond curious to why you have something against c:?

3. Insight

Insight Guest

As mentioned above, legacy software is the problem. The software's printing program looks for requests prompted from a C: on the server. As a consequence, unless C: is removed every terminal prints.

I don't know the inner-workings of the program, and I've suggested net work-arounds, but the admin and programmer won't listen. They just want a 2k server with no C:

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Okay, so install it on a different drive letter?

5. Insight

Insight Guest

Like I said, I have no room to compromise with net work-arounds. I don't even have room for experimentation. I don't even have the program. I know, it sucks, but it happens in the working world.

They gave me a computer and Windows 2k server and said "Do it." ie, make a server with no C:

Can it be done?

Need help!

6. 5Gen_Prelude

I know, install windows on d or e or f...

During the install process, you can create partitions. Create two partitions, install it on the 2nd one.

7. Insight

Insight Guest

But it still leaves a C: partition. There cannot be one.

I installed Win 2k on D: and then deleted the C: partition but now it will not boot at all, even having adjusted the boot.ini.

I am very familiar with multi-booting; I used to have a comp working with Win 98, Win 2k and SUSE Linux as available OS's.

But I don't know how to remove the C: entirely.

To be quite honest, I think it would be similarly plausible, except that this comp is SCSI and I belive the host adapter is naming the first available harddrive as C: when it loads. To make things worst, I don't know shit about SCSI.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the answer is, yes. Installing Windows with a usb memory card reader will usually result in a system drive other than c:\

9. 5Gen_Prelude

I dunno - I've done it before. Not on purpose mind you :rofl:

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

i think my system root is on j:

the boot.ini looks at disks and partitions, not drive letters. the letter is arbitrary to the system

11. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I guess I'm missing why you can't have a C: drive. I have never heard of that before...

12. Insight

Insight Guest

It all comes down to politics. Damn the man. Why is all explained above to about everything it comes down to.

I'd like to try the idea with the USB card reader, but the POS comp they gave me to try it with is from the 1900's and doesn't have a USB slot.

I still haven't found a good method to try yet.

Anyone l33t enough to suggest a way?

When I try and place Windows 2k on a letter other than C: with no C: present, it tells me it cannot install because the partition is not properly configured (no bs., I'll try and screen capture it for you).

As stated before, I think it may be because the SCSI adapter is naming the first harddrive as C: regardless of the OS logical "arbitrary" naming convention. Can anyone verify this for me? I know nothing about SCSI.

13. boileralum

boileralum ODB

Find a new job at a place that doesn't tie your hands like this - recockulous, I say.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

how about install windows once on a C:\ partition. Then install it again on another partition, which forces it onto something other than c:\.

not a very elegant solution, but if you can't use USB and you must use something other than C:\ (although I'm curious as to why) then it seems like you're limited on options.

15. col_panic

just install it on c: and then change the c: drive letter to whatever you want in disk administrator. i just did it on nt4 and only had to recreate the paging file. it broke some programs, but you can do it before installing anything but the operating system.

16. Insight

Insight Guest

Tried that, doesn't fly

Cannot change the root drive, so it says.

I actually have Win 2k on D: right now, but it won't let me change or delete C: at all.

17. col_panic

what is the exact error?

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

2k/xp doesn't let you change the system drive once it's installed, btw.

19. col_panic

brilliant - nt works and newer os'es don't :rolleyes:

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there are REASONS why 2k/xp does this :rolleyes:

21. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

try this:

Boot from the install cd. Get to the system recovery console and make sure to select your D: installation. use the fixboot and fixmbr commands to install and configure NTLDR on D:. If the device is SCSI, you should be able to simply remove the C: drive at this point and configure the SCSI card to boot from the SCSI id that is the D: installation. Since the OS is already installed to a D:\, all the paths in the registry should line up perfectly.

The SCSI cards I'm familiar with label drives in order of bus id even when the boot id set in the SCSI bios is something other than 0. In fact the 'boot mapping' is only there for the bios to find the right device to boot from and for those OSs that rely on BIOS calls for I/O (dos). Once the OS is loaded, and the SCSI card driver initializes, the devices are generally enumerated based on bus id by the driver. Because of this caveat, you MIGHT have to configure boot.ini as though it were a standard C: installation (rdisk set to 0 instead of 1 or whatever yours is) so that NTLDR can find the windows path using BIOS I/O calls. Howevever, once the OS boots, it'll show a D:\ as the system drive.

Another alternative might be to use an alternate boot loader such as grub. It is free from the limitations of NTLDR and you can boot it from almost anything to bootstrap almost any OS. It also lets you do things like swap bios drive mappings around so that the drive appears to be C: to NTLDR (in fact this is required if your windows drive doesn't get mapped to 0x80 by default).

I haven't tried this in ages and it's one of those things I set up so rarely that I have to half-re-figure it out each time I do it. I could be wrong, or my info could be out of date or not applicable to your hardware. Good luck.

22. col_panic

please - not so much detail

23. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

There is a "hack" that allows you to change your default drive letter to anything. At work, we have Win Server 2k3, and our main drive is D, and each user profile has their own virtual C drive.

24. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

Update: you can install the OS anywhere. But Windows tries to make any 8mb partition to the C drive for the NT loader and whatnot. So you need to find a trick to make the system file drive something else.