can you remove the back of a rear-projection TV?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheProwler, Sep 24, 2005.

1. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

I'm looking at a used 55" Toshiba rear-projection TV, and I want to fit it through 30" doors, but it's 33" deep. The owners said that the back can be removed (it looks like plastic/fiberglass and sounds hollow) and it contains the mirrors for the projection. If I remove this, can I put it back on without knocking the picture out of alignment?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Be careful of course, and especially careful with electronics inside, since they can carry a huge charge sometimes. You may knock the guns out of alignment a little, but depending on how old it is it should have either an auto-alignment feature in the menu or on the front panel, or you can manually adjust the guns through the menu. So, you should be ok. Whenever you move a projection tv you must go through re-alignment anyways. So, youd be doing this whether or not you took the back off.

3. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

Okay, I was told that this TV would auto-realign, but either way, that's good to know.

I'll watch out for capacitors though. :hsd:

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

dont get shocked, it like hurts

5. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

well, I bought the TV, got it into place, and there's a line of distortion about two thirds of the way up the screen - it's slightly lighter in color and it compresses what should be two inches into one inch (horizontal line compressing things vertically). What do I need to fix/clean/replace to get that out?

6. veonake

Is that distortion there from all video sources? If so, sounds like you banged something up pretty good or it's just defective. I don't think I've seen that on a projection TV before. Sounds like you need to either call the manufacturer and see what they say, or return it for a new one. Sorry to hear it didn't go smoothly.

7. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

well, it was there when we bought it (used), but they had said it was from their cable. Of course, I told my roommate to check it out with a DVD before we went through this hassle, but he didn't, so we're kinda stuck now. I'm not sure if the distortion is from all the sources though - we're gonna try S-video if we can. Problem is, we can't really bring it in to get serviced - it's way too big to move again.

I know it's not the actual screen, or any one projector (of the three), or the mirror in back. One TV repair place thinks it's the horizontal circuit board.

8. veonake

Sounds right to me. Not a cheap thing to fix probably. :hs:

9. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

AMEN