Can you realistically train for a marathon within a year?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Timmay, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timmay

Timmay New Member

Assuming you haven't done any distance running over 2 miles in say, 2 years?
    I'm living in New York now and thinking of entering the NYC marathon in november 2006. The running info I have read all say you need at least 18 weeks, preferrably more to get in marathon shape, but they all assume you have distance running experience.

I haven't done any running, aside from the occasional weekend run of 2 miles at most, in over 2 years. Even then the most I ran in an official timed event was a 2 mile race, which I did in about 13 minutes. Aside from CC in high school I've never really done much of any long distance running.

Not worrying about time (short of finishing by the time they stop recording finishes at 6:40pm) could I realistically train myself to finish the race without serious injury and without burning out after 10 miles? I could care less about how I did, I think the experience itself would just be incredible; I just don't know if I could go from practically no running (doing a 5k without walking would probably leave me practically dead at the finish right now) to a marathon in 54 weeks. :dunno:

2. hip hippo

hip hippo Eric Berry, son.

I think a whole year would be ample time to get prepared for a marathon. Of course this would depend on how often you trained and how seriously you took it.

I could be wrong though. I'm no long distance runner and I don't think there are too many around here. :mamoru:

3. Timmay

Timmay New Member

Yeah, I'm sure if I trained 5 or 6 days a week doing some form of running or exercise I would be in good shape for it; but I have plenty to do during the week especially until next spring and could probably regularly do it only 3, maybe 4 days a week.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

anyone can jog 26 miles. it's just the lazy ones that don't.

5. SteveO

SteveO Guest

:rofl: right...

6. Dr. Zoidberg

Dr. Zoidberg the lovable tramp

a year is more than enough time.. if you took it seriously

7. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Yup a year is enough time unless you are grossly out of shape, but that is enough time to complete a marathon. It will take longer if you are trying to have a competitive time.

8. Kcomps

Kcomps New Member

yeah, a year would be plenty of time. Just commitment is the key and train hard. Good luck!

9. Timmay

Timmay New Member

Thanks for all the encouragement. :bigthumb: I could care less about a competitive time, hell if I could do it in 5 hours I would be extremely happy. And I'm not grossly out of shape at all (6 foot 170-ish) although my cardio stamina is probably next to nothing right now. I think the hardest part about taking it seriously would be that I'll be starting to train in the winter, which will be hard as hell since I really dislike running in circles on a track; right now I can run on a 2.2 mile boardwalk along the beach, but in a couple weeks that won't be too comfortable. Spring is probably way too long to wait to start training, so I'll just have to nut up and train indoors for the winter.

10. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Remember, as long as you keep hydrated (several ounces of water every 20-30 minutes) mild discomfort will be your main enemy. If you can run past the discomfort you will be able to run for a suprisingly long distance but be aware of actual pain and injuries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.