Can you lose body fat while gaining muscle weight?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Vino, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vino

Vino Guest

Since I've started working out again. I've was at about 186, now I'm 192. I've been working out for about a month and a half. My bench went up 15 or so pounds, but I've also been doing HIIT about 2-3x/week and my diet has stayed cleaned for awhile. Yet when I've been looking in the mirror, I've noticed I can now see the outlining of my abs a little if I suck it in some. I've never seen my abs in my life before. I know we shouldn't go by the scale to judge fat loss, but by the mirror instead. I don't trust the scale really.

So you can lose body fat while gaining muscle? :hs:

2. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Absolutely.

This is a highly debatable subject, but, without a doubt you can do both.
    The debate though rests on time.
    Some believe that you are better off "gaining" then "dieting" or vice versa as it has an overall quicker desired effect than doing both at the same time... or not.
    So, at the end of the day, its best to chose a program (either gainer or dieting or both) that suits your body and one that you respond best too.

Me personally, ive tried it all and im still trying it all. I do not like the "bulking" runs because its very hard on the system and self esteem. It is WAY harder to bulk than diet, so I try to stay no less than 10 weeks off of lean.

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Agree 110% with this post. Especially portion in bold.

4. Vino

Vino Guest

Well I can't really "diet" persay as I live on campus and must eat the dining hall each day. When I say diet, I'm talking like 6 balanced meals a day. When I at eat the dining hall, I get smart food like spinach, cottage cheese, bananas, chicken, etc. No soda or sugary foods. I then take food from there such as fruit or bagels and eat them in between meals so I don't become too hungry.

5. maxxpower

Oh, when I say "diet" im generally referring to controlled nutrition, do not confuse this with "budgie eating".
    Diet to me means understanding, noting and taking into consideration everything your body takes in and applying THAT towards a goal.

6. Vino

Vino Guest

That makes a lot of sense to me. When you say "budgie eating", are you referring to like starving yourself or bad nutrition?

7. maxxpower

starving yourself, bad nutrition could never be confused with dieting.

8. Vino

Vino Guest

Alright, it just irks me kinda that I have acquaintance from a close friend and he lost 50 or so pounds. I asked him how he did it and he told me that he pretty much starved himself for a month. He looked like a real bad case of 'skinny-fat'. I tried to preach to him what little knowledge I hold about proper dieting and exercise for losing weight. He just nodded and acted like he would not acknowledge the advice I was giving him. I just said whatever and kept on about my day. :)

9. ericande

ericande Active Member

I completely agree with maxxpowers post and I'll add that it becomes increasingly difficult to add muscle while losing fat as you become leaner. If you're at 25% bodyfat and not losing fat while building muscle you are probably doing it wrong. There's no magic number but once you get to a certain point it becomes nearly impossible to keep doing that.

10. Vino

Vino Guest

So when you are cutting or bulking it mainly has to do with your nutrition?

Not the workouts you're doing?

11. maxxpower

Everyone is different, but, in most cases your nutrition will contribute to about 60-80% of what your gains are. 20-40% will be from your efforts in the gym.

12. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

im clean bulking right now and i gotta tell you, the gains come slow as fuck compared to a bulk/cut cycle

13. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Clean bulking though shouldn't mean you're necessarily eating less, simply from 'cleaner' sources as it were. At least that was my understanding of it. :dunno:

14. maxxpower

Im not sure if its any faster or slower for me, I just couldn't stand eating THAT much clean food to bulk.
    Seriously, I think everyone should do a 5000+ cal clean bulk at least once in their lifetime to really appreciate what it means to eat that fucking much and gain that much weight while not killing anyone.

15. egxflash

egxflash Riding on the Midship Express

yea, im actually eating more than before....but my meals are mostly grilled meats, tuna and protein shakes. carbs are from steam veggies, wheat bread

i gotta admit its hard. its pretty much eating the same shit over and over again. i just mix it up by changing up the marinade on the meat

16. maxxpower

nobody is arguing that point.
    The main issue is whatever effects you may not be the same with the next guy.
    Some guys react best to bulk/diets, some guys react best to lean gains.
    Find out what works for you and stick with it.

These are individual bodies we are dealing with, every single one of us is different and every single one of us reacts to different diets, hormones, stims, sugars, training programs etc.

There is no secret to this shit.
    Eat well, sleep well, live well and get to the gym. Rinse wash and repeat for about 3-10 years and you will have a stellar body.
    End of recipe.

17. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

I have found i got results by bulking to an extent, well, putting on weight. and than eating at maintenance while training, my body somewhat absorbed the excess fat turning it into muscle :dunno:

18. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

Bullshit asshole, everyone likes the tuna here. ;) Start making your own food. A 12-pack of tuna and chicken from amazon comes in at ~ 30 bucks, and that tuna is the 10 or 12oz packages, not the cans. It's very easy to eat clean if you try to figure out ways to get around the common barriers of cafeteria food.

19. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Losing fat while gaining muscle is possible at what level of caloric intake? Deficit, surplus, or maintenance?

20. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

As someone who is in this forum for health, not 'bulking' reasons, I have found this thread useful. I have no interest whatsoever in ever 'bulking' in my lifetime. The muscle I will have on my body will be the result of hard work in the gym and a reasonable, sustainable diet comprised of whole foods. If that means that I will be smaller than powerlifters and body builders, that's fine by me. But after spending 24 years as a fat fuck, I have no interest in ever putting my body through that again.

21. Vino

Vino Guest

How much is a 10 or 12oz package compared to a can?

22. keeler

keeler New Member

cans are 6 oz i think

23. Jimmycrackcorn

Jimmycrackcorn OT Supporter

That's the way I see it too....and that's what I've been doing for three months or so.

24. Jimmycrackcorn

Jimmycrackcorn OT Supporter

The ones I buy are. I'll mix two of them together with a little extra virgin olive oil and some Mrs. Dash and chow it down with a shit ton of broccoli for a really tasty quick meal. :yum:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.