Can you loose muscle mass and still gain strength and size?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by SoCaLlove, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCaLlove

SoCaLlove New Member

Hi guys, been a long time ghost reader of ya'll. You guys crack me up and give me some good advice too. So heres the deal. I'm enrolled in a weight training class in college and the coach uses one of those electronic step on scales to measure us and then it prints out a reading.

In january, it read me as 171lbs., 151lbs muscle, 20lbs fat, 11%bf

Today, it read me as 175lbs., 150lbs muscle, 25lbs fat, 14% bf

First off, I don't believe anyone of those two readings. No way that is the gain I achieved in 5 months. I know I was 15%bf before january cause I was measured by another coach w/ a caliper. Plus, I got lazy, my weight training was half-assed and cardio was non-exsistant. How could I have lost 4%bf?

Now, I can believe in the fat gain. But I don't believe that much. I diet and train consistantely to bulk. My size has increased a bit, and strength has increased a lot. I've managed to add 20-30lbs on exercises that I do.

So is it possible to loose muscle mass and gain strength?? I could've sworn I had broken in to 180lbs. Should I not trust those electronic measurement scales?

Sorry for the long post. tia.

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

nope

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I've heard that calipers are pretty accurate in testing bf%. Or... take a pic and ask ppl like I did.

4. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

loose muscle mass? like your muscles aren't attached at the insertion points, they're just kind of sliding around under your skin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.