MIL Can you guys tell me about PsyOps and Military Intel Officer Positions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kafka, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Kafka

Kafka New Member

I've had this sudden urge of patriotism. :)

Anyway I'm a grad student, pretty sure I can pass the required tests. But I've heard stories of getting stuck doing things in the army you never wanted to do. How can I make sure I'm on the path I set on to? Also any information besides whats on the websites would be appreciated about the particular career paths. which one do you think is the better option. After service, I'd like to get into some fed gov't work, and I'm sure both would be great for it.

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Don't worry about PsyOps til you're a 1LT (P).

3. JSin

JSin New Member

And if your a college op, the chances of you getting MI are very very low and not your choice at all.

4. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

branch infantry then MI...

5. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

For Army? No

6. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

Willijdubb was enlisted PSYOP and would be more than happy to answer any questions about it, if he was time anyway. Have not seen him in awhile

7. Kafka

Kafka New Member

this is where i got my info. btw slow your roll with the abbreviations, what's op? :o

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=301

8. JSin

JSin New Member

College option. Those of us who walk in of the street with a degree and want to become an officer.

Your info is fine, but the Army decides what branch to give you based on what it needs, and it RARELY needs MI officers after west point, ROTC and prior enlisted get their choices. College Op gets whats left. I got #7 on my list.

9. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

I've got a friend at OCS right now and he said MI had the second most available slots for branching :dunno:

10. JSin

JSin New Member

That's kinda hard to believe, but possible. You should ask him if any of the classes there with him got any MI slots. My class got 5 infantry slots for our 220 person class even though there was a ton of desire for it, and then the class after us got around 100 slots. There is no rhyme or reason to it. But historically, MI has been next to impossible to get. Your friend is the exception, not the norm, from everything I know and have experienced.

11. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

every branch goes through a "flood" period.

12. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Was just looking for my old thread in here.

I still haven't made the decision (which is a big one)...I'm currently fine working in the civilian workforce while still attending grad school, but if MI or PsyOps was more of a guarantee I'd love to serve my country in that regard.

Anyone have some updated info on this since I'm sure stuff could change in 1 year. :hs:

13. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

That's not how it works. There are available slots, and a priority system. You're low on it.

Being an officer you most likely won't stay in one branch your entire career anyway, you usually have to do your needs of the army time.

If you're looking for a career where you get to have guarantees and demands the military may not be for you.

14. Kafka

Kafka New Member

I understand and that's why I've always been a bit hesitant to serve despite my desire to. I know the military has priorities and such and that of course, being a new officer, i would be but low upon it.

Still, do you think I should at least try to speak with a recruiter at some point? From what I've understood, being relatively knowledgeable and well-researched can allow you to work with your recruiter to further the goals you want, especially if you're a well qualified applicant? I know for example that you need to apply for like 7-10 mos's right at the onset but I would think that being particularly qualified in a field (for example, i have a decent education from respected universities and a lot of PR + language experience which is really relevant to psy ops) and having the recruiter communicate that to his superiors would help?

thanks for your patience in responding to a completely academic/civilian type like myself.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  15. armygrognard

armygrognard New Member

PSYOP rocks. I did it for 8 years. There is no PSYOP Officer branch, so getting into PSYOP as an officer would be a roll of the dice. MI is a great path for gov't work. TS clearance, MOS training in intel, experience downrange = potential $$$ as a DAC or contractor.

16. Kafka

Kafka New Member

thanks for the info, psy op is my first choice but military intel is a close second. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

but i believe there is a psy op officer branch is there not?

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=309

17. willijdub

willijdub New Member

when did burrito get banned? why? yea, i have been kinda absent lately, been out here at camp pendleton training with marsoc for an upcoming afghanland trip.

18. willijdub

willijdub New Member

:nono: there is a psyop officer branch. must be capt to come over to us though.

19. Kafka

Kafka New Member

haha this thread started more than a year ago and it says burrito has been banned since :hs:

do you mind if i ask you a few things via pm about psy ops? :o

20. Kafka

Kafka New Member

so you HAVE to enlist to be in psy ops? you can't go through ocs and get there? :o

21. willijdub

willijdub New Member

the psyop officer does alot of office work. the fun is out on a tactical team (enlisted) though imho. you would be coordinating things betqween the sotf and writing up dissemination matrixes and just all the admin things really. if you were in the strategic side of things, you would help the approval process sfor new products and just manage that side of the house of affairs.

22. willijdub

willijdub New Member

to go active duty psyop you must transfer from another mos. the time of off the street psyoppers is no more, unless you are enlisting reserve component, then you may enlist directly into psyop. (but you will not receive jump school or language training) for officers, you must be in the rank of captain, and thus you couldnt just go to ocs and then come over to psyop... like someone else said, you gotta go like mi or anything else first, then once you hit your capt. you can transfer.

23. willijdub

willijdub New Member

go for kafka :wavey:
    if i dont respond for a day, dont mind me, i have a flight to catch in like 6 hours baack to nc and so i might or might not be on tomorrow night.. ill get around to you though.

24. Kafka

Kafka New Member

excellent info, thanks bro. ill definitely send a few pm's your way. starting out in military intel than moving to psy op would be an ideal choice but who knows if i'll have that luxury.

as a captain could i still do language training and jump school if i happened to be transferred to psy ops?

language training would definitely be a worthwhile venture.

25. kazimer

kazimer New Member

If you get PSY-OPS then the language training is a part of the pipeline along with jump school (I would recommend going to jump school right out of OBC)

The Army just started a career management program for officers that allows for easier lateral transfers between branches and functional areas. Ideally you can place your packet in a board that meets every six months and compete for a branch transfer. I am pretty happy with my functional area so hopefully I wont need to use this program