SRS Can you guys let me know you opinions on which career I should choose?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jul 1, 2009.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'm basically looking for advice from people older than me who can give me good advice when picking a career. I've seen SOOO many people get laid off recently and bitch non stop about life/economy/money. Lots of people tell me not to make the same mistake they made. They tell me to specialize in something that has great job security and pays well. I'm sure lots of people told THEM at one point the same thing so why did they make the mistakes they weren't supposed to make?

Anyway, here is my dilema: I've been in a constant state of panic the last few months. I graduated High School in 2006 and have basically just been floating around my town doing jack shit working go nowhere jobs. It's time to learn a skill, get and education, and land a real career job that pays well that I can actually support a family on. I've been doing career research like crazy and have finally narrowed down my few jobs. These are pretty much the best options I have found that appeal to me the most. The only problem is that I keep weighing the pros and cons of each over and over and over again and I just can't pick one. Hopefully some of you can give me some good advice so I can make a good decision. Here they are:

Firefighter/Paramedic
    Pros- Work outside, save live/help people, different scenery every day, one of the most rewarding careers, excellent benefits.

Cons- Pay is good (not great, but good), job can be very dangerous, may take up to 5 years to get a job on a good department, have to deal with puke/guts/feces when dealing with really sick people.

Bottom line- You'll never get rich doing this, but you'll have a rewarding career.

Pharmacist
    Pros- Excellent pay ($100k+), great job security, great benefits, you can move across the county and get hired very easily at a new pharmacy and resume your life.

Cons- Boring and dull work, very repeatative.

Bottom line- You make a lot of money, but you'll be bored with the job by the end of your first week.

Airline Pilot
    Pros- Excellent pay ($100K+ once you get signed on with a major airline), great benefits, exciting and rewarding career, clean work environment, you get to travel a lot.

Cons- Job security is poor, takes around 10-15 years to get signed on with a major airline and start making some decent money, LOTS of time spent away from home and family.

Bottom line- After spending 15 years of you life you finally start making good money, but then you start a family only to be away from them for half a month.

I can't decide what to do. I've talked to firefighters and pilots and i'd like to do both professions. I'd like to be a pharmacist only because the money and easy lifestyle appeals to me. I just can't make a decision. Please give me some good advice. Thanks!

2. johan

johan Active Member

Sure, but before that, tell me something about yourself, your likes, dislikes, what gives you happiness in life.
    And don't say "money" no matter how true it may feel it to be.

If you're familiar with MBTI, post it. If not, try this:
    http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

3. Clancer

Clancer New Member

Im hoping that you realize two of those professions require a lot of time and money invested into aquiring them and one doesnt. I have a friend in pre pharmacy right now, and he says that its extremely competitive just to get into pharmacy school. There is really nothing easy at all at becoming a pharmacist. He has around a 3.7 GPA and still is always worried about not making it, and you will have to work really hard in school for more years than a normal degree. Be prepared for that.

My mom is a flight attendant and it always seems to me like the airline industry is shit right now. Im thinking you wont make nearly as much money as you would in the past just starting out, but pilots are unionized and usually get as much as they can get away with.

But its up to you. If you have the money to go to college, Id recommend that. Dont worry about not finding a job when you get out of school or the money you'll make. Having a degree is far better than not having one at all

4. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

My sister just started working as a pharmacist (she has to pass her board exams first though). If you move to another state, you have to pass the law board exam again.

Be aware that pharmacy at places like walgreens or CVS is boring but I'm sure working hospitals or research is more interesting.

5. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'm like anyone else. I like to meet cool people, travel, get paid good, and generally live an easy stress free life. I'd also like to express that starting a family is something that's important for me. I'd like to be around for my kids/wife and provide them with a comfortable lifestyle unlike the one I lived. I want a job that's filled with cool people and the work is either clean or exciting. Also job security is also important. I want to know that i'll be doing this same job 20 years later. I DON'T want something filled with drama, low pay, un-meaningful work, repeatative and dull.

6. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'd cross off the airline pilot.

Pharmacist would depend one your grades. Getting into pharmacy school is very competitive, and you will need steller grades. Once you are in, there is a shitload of work. You'll take a lot of medical classes, and it's not cheap, or easy.

7. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Why would you cross off airline pilot?

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I'd probably pick firefighter/paramedic out of those they don't seem like that would ever be a boring job, won't make a ton of money but won't make shit money either. Pharmacy school is basically like med school be prepared to have no life for a few years.

9. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Because the pay sucks until you have a shitload of expierence, and it won't leave you with much family time either.

10. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

For you....I see EMT/paramedic.

11. Raisedshoulder

Raisedshoulder Some Blode.

Yeah good way to get your toes wet. Also you don't need too much schooling to get a job in that.

12. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Seems like you want a stable career with decent pay and a changing environment with the personal reward of helping other. Sounds like you should go into nursing as an RN or a medical specialty like speech language pathology, physical therapy, etc...

Schooling is 4 years for nursing and 5-6 years for the others (Bonus is that you can do the others after a nursing degree if you like and not lose any time). You can move around all over the world and get a job the next day. pay is great. You're helping people and you are constantly seeing new things and learning new things.

If you get bored with any of the above you can move to a new area. With physical therapy you can move into sports therapy or specialize in something. With nursing you can also take some extra courses and move into management for more normal hours and doctor pay.

Cons of nursing is shitty patients, shift work sometimes, doctors think they're god. I never put blood and guts because if that bugs you then you already know not to consider the career.

13. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

14. Sgt. Friday

Sgt. Friday Guest

there is no such thing as job security

15. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Yeah firefighter looks pretty good. The only 2 drawbacks are that i'd like to make a little more money and I don't want to deal with nasty human things when you get paramedic calls.

I noticed that civil engineers make decent money and that seems like rewarding work. Can anybody recommend a career that I may want to look into?

16. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Then don't become a fireman.

Seriously think about it, what do they do all day? Sit around waiting for the buzzer to go off. What do they do during those down times? Drama and dull and repetitive and boring. Sure fighting fires might have appeal and helping people might be cool but seriously this job just looks awful to me because you'll spend the vast majority of your time in the station trying to keep busy. Yes I think it can be rewarding but there are VAST amounts of time where you have nothing to do....or at least that's the way it seems to me and it's what firemen have told me. Same with being a cop.....but some people love these professions so if you really want to do this...be sure to get an accurate picture of the work.

You know....I was 31-32 before I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. Actually that's not entirely accurate, I was 31-32 before I had guts enough to pursue what I wanted to do instead of other things.

For me the hard part was trying to figure out what would make me happy for the rest of my life. How the fuck could I know that? I was in my early 20s, had just lost a dad and a brother in 2 short years and I was a fucking emotional mess. And I was still pursuing an accounting education because everyone in my fucking family did this and I was supposed to shut up and fall in line with them. It took me years to sort all that shit out.

Like you, I tried to make sound decisions and looked at the salaries to try and make my decisions. Stop looking at the money you'll make. Most salary estimates are wrong. Very often they're low for a great number of people and/or regions of the country. It's possible to make insane amounts of money in a number of different careers....way, way over what the estimates say.

Instead find something you enjoy doing. I've heard it said, "If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life". Why? Because when you're doing what you love it doesn't feel like work. It's fun and exciting and you're mind is fully engaged. You'll love "going to work" and you'll end up staying late simply because it's fun for you. But that's the rub....finding out what you love to do.

Well ok, it's really not that hard to find out. What's difficult, IMO, is having the guts to follow your path, no matter where it leads and no matter what anyone else thinks about it.

There are a few books that I've found enormously helpful. They are:
    Zen and The Art of Making A Living and
    What Color Is Your Parachute.

Also, don't let yourself get into the paralysis by analysis mode. It's important to spend as much time as you need figuring out what you want to do...but you can do that while pursuing one or many paths. In other words, be sure to keep working and moving towards some goal while you're working out what you want to do when you grow up.

Good luck and don't be afraid to take chances and correct mistakes as they become known.

17. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

the firemen around here hardly fight any fires. 75% of the calls they do get are from big buildings that had their fire alarm system go faulty. So a lot of their work involves showing up to the building, checking for fire to find nothing. The fire alarm systems are pathetic. Cut one wire, the entire system goes off. fire dept is called.

just throwing that out there. It is easy to think as a fireman that you would be saving kittens and children from burning buildings all day everyday. Dont be disappointed.

honestly, every job is going to have drama to a certain extent. A lot of people talk about how they hate drama so much-but they are actively getting themselves involved in it. You just have to learn how to deal with these things with trial and error.