MMA Can you guys explain how the system works for moving up belts?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Yardsale, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I remember taking some karate classes when I was younger, but I didn't pay much attention to how advancement worked. Can someone explain how people can advance to black belt while others are still on various other belts?

I just remember having to wait forever to finally get to spar :o

If I could have done it all over again, I would have enrolled at a boxing gym :hs:

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

in brazilian jiu jitsu, there are 5 belts: white, blue, purple, brown, black.

Unlike most traditional martial arts like karate, tkd, etc, there is rarely a single "belt test" given for the belt. The instructor has to analyze the student and guage where he is at in terms of technique knowledge, transitions, fluidity, ability to apply technique live, escapes/reversals, etc. Once he believes the student is ready then the belt is just given. It also usually only applies to training with the gi on, as the tournaments are seperated according to belt rank.

In terms of "no gi" tournaments are divided like : novice, beginner, intermediate, advanced, absolute, and I think there is a professional division... not sure on that one.

You don't necessarily have to beat every white belt in order to get your blue, but the instructor will think along the lines of: If they were both the same size, or had that guy been 20 years younger, what would have happened?

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yes in bjj belts actually DO mean something. but that doesnt mean you never see a purple belt beat a brown belt. it just means the typical purple belt cannot beat the typical brown belt

4. Maestro

Maestro New Member

in some judo schools in order toget your blackbelt, you have to compete in a tournament

5. Sammo

Sammo New Member

meh, the same can be said about a lot of martial arts

give it time and I'm sure you will see lots of BJJ places giving out belts like candy

6. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

well maybe in the future they will be given out easier, but I doubt that the prestige will be lost. BJJ's main attraction is that it works for sure, and is practiced live. And every single belt has a lineage that can be traced, so that if a shitty guy gets a belt it looks bad for the instructor and the instructor above him

7. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I see..

so it's like a pecking order hierarchy. I always thought it was just you reached a certain level and your master deemed you worthy, you went up a belt.

but proving your worth against the belts above you, that's so much cooler :bigthumb:

8. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

actually if you gave your belts away like candy.. all your students would get crushed in the tournaments. in BJJ you see instructors giving belts SLOWER than they should. It's the opposite problem. The star students stay blue and purple belts FOREVER.

my instructor was a blue belt for five years :rofl: