MIL Can you give me the differences between NCO and CO?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by endemicW, Dec 23, 2008.

1. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

I know the pay is different, I want to know what responsibilities/duties an E-4 or E-5 would have compared to an O-1 or 0-2?

2. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

To put it in civilian terms, think of NCOs as managers and COs as Executives, roughly.

3. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

Would a CO fire a weapon in combat?

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

NCOs generally do the labor+management

Commisioned officers generally do the talking/admin type of management

keep in mind im using the word generally

5. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

yes as long as he wasnt a chaplain or medical officer...in which case its still really up to them i guess, wether they get punished for it later is up to circumstance

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Generally speaking:
    Officers determine the mission and NCOs make it happen.

7. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Generally speaking...hehe

NCO's are the backbone of the Military...regardless of what branch.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

enlisted vs officer

I think the term NCO is the thing I hate about the marines the most. Pisses me off anytime I hear/see it.

9. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

10. BEAST MODE!

BEAST MODE! New Member

Do COs see combat?

11. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

some do some dont, just the same as enlisted ranks.

12. WildBull

WildBull Guest

Being an NCO all depends on how many guys you have under you. In my shop I only have 2 guys so we pretty much all do the same thing only I get to sign off on stuff. The CO is pretty much like God for some reason in the Marines. =\

13. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

every time i see CO the only thing that pops in my head is Commanding Officer..

14. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

Commisioned officer people, OP is not reffereing to commanding officer!

15. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Beans and bullets

16. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

You think that, but not everyone strives to sit behind a desk and push paper all day. I would much rather be a NCO than a real live officer any day.

17. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

But in reality the people like you are the same % of the people that actually want to get deployed to Iraq say, which in the real world is a really really small %. OT is just full of gun ho people for some reason who are excited to go over there.

18. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Yea I used to be the same way. And then the first time I got shot at I said fuck that. People are just attracted to the idea of combat, being in it fucking sucks.

19. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I used to want to be deployed, yea that was before 15 month deployment, and an article in Army times saying something like 40% haven't deployed yet... Fuckers.

Officers plan, coordinate, supervise, and lead. A lot of it depends on the unit too, in an infantry unit, your LT and CO will be making their money leading troops in combat. In CSS/CS units, they are pushing paper and supervising.

Anyways, read the Army AR on Officer an NCO relationships. Get it at http://www.ncohistory.com

There is one i particularly like,

20. Accord

Accord New Member

Yes officers see combat. If you're a platoon commander in the grunts then you're right out there with your Marines. In garrison the difference in quality of life between officers and enlisted and rather disgusting, we had a memorial dinner for my best friend Cooper who was killed in Afghanistan at the O-club here on Lejeune and the O-club was fancier than the Ritz-Carlton in Palm Beach... I am not exaggerating.

But in combat, especially in Afghanistan where you'll be living outside the wire your whole deployment there is really no difference between officers and the enlisted, my LT was the only officer I saw for 5 months and he was right out there living the same shitty life just like the rest of us, he did everything we did and there was really no difference between us and him and more often than not he was just along for the ride with our NCO's calling the shots. Our LT voluntarily stood watch and purposely stood the worst shifts in the middle of the night just so his Marines could get a little bit more sleep because that could be the only sleep we get for 3-4 days. There's a lot of shitty officers and if you get a bad one your life will be miserable, my platoon lucked out and we got the best officer in the battalion as our LT.

21. Accord

Accord New Member

+1

Now that i've gotten my no shit combat deployment out of the way over in the Ghan, I really hope we deploy to Iraq next year so I can sit in Camp Cupcake for 9 months and just workout everyday and hang out on OT at the internet center :rofl:.

22. Off

Off Memento Mori

Our officers have a saying: ''If it was hard, we wouldn't be doing it.'' This must've been a CSS Officer though, because in the combat arms the platoon comd has it just as shitty as his men. Generally the day-to-day stuff with the troops is left to the platoon warrant and section commanders while the officer deals w/ admin issues, but when the shit hits the fan, there's no doubt as to who's in charge.

On my infantry course we had a young captain as course officer, he'd never been on tour but he was right on. During FTXs where we got maybe 1-2 hours of sleep in a week, he got none. He just stayed up 5 days straight, checking the lines, making sure no one was sleeping in their trench, making sure sentries were awake and aware. To me he represented what an officer should be; better, but humble about it, he knew he would need us if we deployed with him. We had this thing where if you got an NCOs rank wrong, the platoon got to do a 10k run (per rank you were off). We built up 890k over the first 7 weeks before we started running them, and he ran every single kilometer with us even though only 2 staff members had to come with us.

23. willijdub

willijdub New Member

this says it all...​

the nco creed​

No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of soldiers. As a Noncommissioned Officer, I realize that I am a member of a time honored corps, which is known as "The Backbone of the Army". I am proud of the Corps of Noncommissioned Officers and will at all times conduct myself so as to bring credit upon the Corps, the Military Service and my country regardless of the situation in which I find myself. I will not use my grade or position to attain pleasure, profit, or personal safety.

Competence is my watchword. My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind -- accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my soldiers. I will strive to remain technically and tactically proficient. I am aware of my role as a Noncommissioned Officer. I will fulfill my responsibilities inherent in that role. All soldiers are entitled to outstanding leadership; I will provide that leadership. I know my soldiers and I will always place their needs above my own. I will communicate consistently with my soldiers and never leave them uninformed. I will be fair and impartial when recommending both rewards and punishment.

Officers of my unit will have maximum time to accomplish their duties; they will not have to accomplish mine. I will earn their respect and confidence as well as that of my soldiers. I will be loyal to those with whom I serve; seniors, peers, and subordinates alike. I will exercise initiative by taking appropriate action in the absence of orders. I will not compromise my integrity, nor my moral courage. I will not forget, nor will I allow my comrades to forget that we are professionals, Noncommissioned Officers, leaders!​

24. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Without trying to be too pessimistic. An E1-E4 usually gets shit on by NCOs. An O1-02 gets shit on by NCOs, O3's and Field Grades.

25. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Seen similar stuff in my unit. Its pretty entertaining :cool: