can YOU find the fault with my computer? it goes off

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Jun 10, 2008.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

or maybe its my power supply hmmm

every so often it goes off and won't go back on until after I plug it out for a few mins.

this started happening a long time ago, and I changed the PSU since. It worked for a while, but then it started doing this again, like, it was going good for about a few weeks, usually it would now go off about once a day when I'm on it.

So, is it a motherboard fault? Electrostatic bullshit? (There is no case cover for it - so I suspect this could be likely but I don't know the details of the effects)

Maybe my power supply is bullshit and fucking with my PSUs?

Oh also, more recently my sound card - which is on-board, stopped working. Entirely. My OS doesn't detect a sound card anymore (neither does Windows), so it must be borked, right?

This computer is about 5 years old and my time with it has passed. But, it would still be good for my parents if I could sort this shit out. I'm guessing I should get a new mobo and cheap case, yush? Or, cheaper, a cheap sound card and a cheap case with the current mobo, or will that likely lead to more problems?

Have I this all wrong and the current open case isn't so bad and the prob may be elsewhere?

edit: oh yeah, heat might be the problem. Do you think? I'll post temperatures later.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

sounds like it may be overheating

have you tried cleaning out the case with compressed air?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what you describe can be long-term effects of EMI. You should always keep your case fully intact to take-advantage of it's faraday-cage.

It's possible your mobo is going out. ATX power supplys use a "power good" connection to determine operating status. As a result, when that circuit gets fux0r'd you will often have to completely remove power, wait for capacitors to discharge, and reconnect before the machine will allow you to turn it on.

If you don't have an assortment of spare parts to do a proper diagnostics, then I'd recommend you spend the $25 or so to have a reputable shop determine the actual failed component.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Thanks for the info, that sounds currectemundo.

I'll be glad to get this shit sorted or ditched for once and for all.

5. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

I have the exact same issue with one of my older PCs, and know for a fact it is the motherboard, which I would say is the same in your case(no pun intended).

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

hahah, yeah, it's gotta be the mobo.

Seems to me like P07r0457 got it precisely. When it goes off I hear odd we noises (do capacitors make odd wee noises?) for about 2 mins, and not long after that (having powered it off) I put in the power and turn it on again.
    Checking the temp after it was at 63 degrees, very high yes? (Athlon XP btw) I just stuck in another fan.

Today it happened a shit load of times. I got about an hour on the comp, then it went off, and after that it went off every 10 mins and then down to five, which is absolutely crazy. That's why I'm thinking about the heat too.

So, next time it goes off I should start looking for very cheap 2nd hand socket 7 mobos. If I will ever be bothered to replace a fecking mobo.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

socket 7? I think you must be mistaken.

I think Socket A/462 are more likely.

8. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Indeed you are right. Is A == 462?
    from wikipedia: "Socket A (also known as Socket 462)"..

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes "A" and 462 are the same.

Intel originally had a "Slot 1" for their Pentium II and Pentium III archs. AMD called their interface "Slot A" so that it was "different" but "similar". When Intel switched to Socket 370, AMD decided to call their new interface Socket A... Although near the end it was more commonly known as Socket 462 -- because convention was to use the number of pins.