SRS can you ever stop without addressing the underlying issues?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Boosted_AWD_, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Boosted_AWD_

Boosted_AWD_ 10,000 Watts RMS

i have a drug problem. i am a highly functioning addict which is part of the reason it continues on like it does.

is it possible to stop without addressing the underlying issues?

i dont need drugs but i dont like how life is without them.

i have been through numerous programs/clinics etc...

what should i do?

2. Boosted_AWD_

is there anyone on OT perhaps who would like to talk about drugs and why we do them with me?

3. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

I didn't even know there were underlying issues until i had stopped doing drugs myself. Even if i did know of them, they were so dulled by dope I wouldnt have known, even if i did, i had no coping skills. I knew how to get loaded, and do the things i needed to do to get loaded (get money, know people, get dope, stay alive)

hit me on AIM or PM anytime

4. mstan123456

mstan123456 New Member

my $.02

well. as an addict, *sometimes* functional, ive noticed that even if i dont get physically dependant on drugs (my drug of choise was opiates) i still feel the need to dabble in it at times, and i noticed that over the past 6 or 7 years, i have yet to REALLY try to confront whatever issues it is that make me do this. because of this, im facing legal problems, financial problems, and i still continue to let down the people that matter most. not sure what im trying to instill in you, but i just thought id share my story.. i am just recently realizing that because I am not dealing and confronting my inner demons, im getting absolutely nowhere, whether im physically dependant on them or not.. i am finally realizing that, whether i want to admit it or not, i must truly be frightened of what ill find out about myself. sad if you ask me. i see these guys my age coming back from iraq, missing arms and legs, if alive at all, and im sitting here unable to deal with my own, "petty" problems. if you ever need to talk, PM me and i can give you my aim or email..

take care of yourself.. as much as an addict can, anyway.

5. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

This is a tough one.

I think you need to talk more.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Perhaps but I can't even understand why this would be attractive. Sure I wasn't all that excited about "working on myself" and shit like that but it's something we do over time. It's kind of like going to the gym....when I'm at home thinking about going, it's so damned difficult to even take one step in that direction. However, if I just put those arguments out of my head and just go, I find that it's not nearly as bad as I had imagined and most times, I enjoy it.

I thought I didn't need drugs and alcohol either. In fact I said that I can't be an alcoholic because alcoholics crave alcohol. I don't crave alcohol so there's no way I can be an alcoholic. The truth was, I never gave myself a chance to crave it.....when I wanted to drink, I drank. This behavior led me to believe that I could quit at any time......but I just didn't want to quit.

You tell us....do you want to quit?

If my life wasn't in shambles, I would not have quit when I did and things really weren't all that bad for me. They were bad but I'd experienced much worse. There was just something different when I quit.....I can't really explain it but I really didn't want to quit drinking and using. Yes there was a small part of me that wanted to quit but I had a lot of fun drinking and using. What I really wanted was to continue drinking and using and still have all the fun of drinking and using....I just didn't want the pain that came from it.

Also, I could see how my life was progressing. Things were steadily decreasing in my life. I had less money, more debt, less happiness, less fun all these things just seemed like I was on a downhill slope and I was worried that one day I would wake up with a problem that I couldn't buy or talk my way out of......that scared me.

Everyone's different when they finally are ready to quit. I honestly don't know anyone who has turned their life around and continued to drink and party the way they used to. It just doesn't seem possible for a great number of people....including non-addicts/non-alcoholics.

Anyways....good luck.

7. Miss Red

Miss Red New Member

What are your underlying issues? What turned you off of the previous programs you were on?

8. Boosted_AWD_

my parents were never around when i was a kid and my cousin raped/molested me when i was 10ish. I had no idea what he was doing to me because i was a little kid. The we moved to FL when i was 12 and i hit puberty and started jerking off and realized my cousin was a homo child molester and i was introduced to weed literally the exact same time.

i fell in love with drugs and its been that way ever since.

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

it's been my experience that addiction is a separate issue really, but the stressors from unresolved things can make it harder to stay clean than it needs to be. It's really two different fields of medicine.

most people who are molested don't become drug addicts, and, your first drug did coincide with that experience but i dont think it would have mattered really.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  10. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I have met countless miserable old-timers at AA meetings that were clean but very obviously never addressed the underlying issues that caused their behavior. So yeah, it is possible but not desirable.

11. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

You must deal with the underlying issues, AA/rehab/shrink.