MMA Can you drain cauliflower ear yourself?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Falconer, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My friend is getting it and his doctor was going to send him to an ENT doctor and charge a bunch of money to drain it. Is this something you can do yourself?

Also, he has a competition next month so he doesn't want to drain it if it's going to leave a big scar or something that could bleed while he's rolling.

Thanks.

2. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

You can, but its probably a good idea to have someone do it for you. Kind of an awkward angle:dunno:

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

wrestled since i was about 8 years old (rec center) thru about 18 high school wrestling, a slight touch of of cauliflower ear but not much and i was a dumb ass and went without headgear a bunch, always drained it myself with a big ass needle, similar to above post, i didn't use potato i just held ice against my ear until it felt numb then i got to it. no big deal, should heal and be nothing very quikly unless you just tear the shit out of your ear or use a knife lol

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So do you just poke a small hole where it's swollen? Does it take a while to heal? I'm assuming it's fairly safe as long as you steralize the needle first...

Anything specific things to look out for? How much stuff comes out? Is it red, like blood?

5. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

This would be the perfect EDU for this forum. Make sure to include pics :x: