can you copy XBOX games?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by non-VTEC, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. non-VTEC

non-VTEC OG lurker

like the title say's.........can the XBOX game CD's be copied in a regular CDR drive onto regular CDR disc's? :big grin:

2. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

In a word. No.

I was on severl differnt X-Box dev teams over the course of the last year, and without getting to spefcific, X-Box DVD are DVD9, which is not a standared DVD format. And wont be read by a typical DVD-ROM drive.
    Also most all X-Box games are SEVERAL gigs of data. Things such as texture take up a couple gigs on the HDD. Halo for instance i believe was 3.5gigs of textures.
    Then there is music and audio. Munch has a couple gigs of audio, SSX tricky has about a gig, an Halo had a couple as well.

Yeah you could compress some of the textures, but trust me, it would look like massive shit. And you could rip audio, but in some games there is simply to much audio to rip. And you could degreade the quality of the audio, but whats the point.
    Either way your not going to be able to rip the game data onto a regular format CD. Even with heavy compresion the game will still come in at about 2+ gigs.
    Then you have hardware security features in the X-Box that do checks to make sure the games being put in are authentic X-Box software, and not knockoffs.

So while im sure that the X-Box games will EVENTUALLY be cracked...i doubt it will happen any time soon. And it will probibly look like shit, and be completely worthless. So just spend the money and buy the game. Save you alot of time.

3. non-VTEC

non-VTEC OG lurker

thanks for your relpy............:bigthumb:

4. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

Distribution of licensed and copyrighted materials such as, but not limited to, mp3, computer software, motion pictures and others, in any way not endorsed by the copyright owner is strictly prohibited

blah blah blah please dont talk about illegal things here guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.