GUN Can you build a better 10/22 than the Magnum Research Magnumlite for less?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cantankerously, Sep 28, 2009.

1. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Hogue Stock
    Match Bolt
    Graphite Barrel
    Machined Receiver w/ Integral Mount
    4.45lbs

~$510

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Better in what sense? Shooting tiny groups off a bench, a fun lightweight plinker, what?

3. cantankerously

Accuracy out to ~50 yards. Lightweight.

4. How about:

10/22: $199.99 from http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676011032.html (I'm not including FFL fees, as you'd likely have to pay them with the rifle in the original post too)
    TacSol Al barrel: $154.95 from Brownells
    Hogue Overmold Stock: $58.47 from Brownells
    VQ Hammer package: $35.10 from Brownells

TOTAL: $448.51

There ya go. The "match bolt" they have isn't going to do anything that the factory bolt doesn't do. If you don't like the factory extractor you can upgrade it for a few bucks, but I'd leave it alone unless you have a problem. They also didn't mention any trigger work, which would suck because the factory trigger is pretty awful. I have budgeted the VQ hammer package which makes a huge difference in how the trigger feels. It's definitely worth the money. Also, while their receiver is nice I don't see why they'd put the rail up so high to begin with. You're likely not going to use a huge objective scope, and you don't need the extra height. Keep the optic as low to the bore as you can.

In summation, you'd have a gun that cost you $50 less, keeps the optic lower to the bore, and has a way better trigger.

If you can sell the factory stock and barrel for even a few dollars, that reduces your cost even further.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2009
  5. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Better is going to be subjective. Can you build one to function the same for less? probably.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. cantankerously

The one big plus about the MR is going to be the availability in .17 mach2. If i were to get a 10/22, i'd have to convert it if that's what i decide to do.

7. Are you looking at your dealer price for the gun? The cheapest I can find that Magnumlite anywhere online is $560.

8. Cool cartridge, but is it really worth the big increase in ammo cost over a .22lr?

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I hate that pic rail, but wouldn't mind picking up a 17HM2 example used.

Yeah the trigger sucks, but I think if a guy could snag one on the cheap used it would probably work out to be a pretty good blaster on the cheap.

Though I've gotten some pretty good snags on complete "ultimate" 10/22's before back when I was really into building them. Trying to sell a complete 10/22 you've tricked out is a failing proposition. I've seen several $1k rifles barely bring half that before.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

There are occasionally some good deals on ammo. I'm trying to score 4k rounds of Eley for $300, which isn't too bad.

I hear they are hell on small game, which is why I want one.

11. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I could understant 17hm if you were going to hunt, but for paper and steel I don't think the extra cost is worth it.

12. I'd just feel bad about going out and plinking with it when I knew I could do the same thing with the .22 for less money, even if you found a good deal on ammo. Now, if it's a rifle whose main purpose is to retire little creatures, then I could see the extra expense.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Agreed. I'm hoping that every poke from those 4k rounds will result in blood spit and ass raining down from the heavens, so my priorities are admittedly different than many.

14. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

my .22lr's have killed more rabbit, squirel, raccons, etc than i care to count, pokes holes in paper just fine, i don't understand the advantage of the .17 for more money, just my opinion though

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Bullet selection.

Speed + VMAX = win

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol he left after this post

17. I noticed. Oh well, even if that's his dealer price, the gun I spec'd (based on prices that anyone can get) is still considerably less money and would likely be more enjoyable.

18. cantankerously

I honestly don't shoot much. This gun would be primarily for taking out in the woods and shooting squirrels and other varmits.

19. cantankerously

Yeah - it would be $509 from our distributor.

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd:

i have the 20" on my 10/22, but im thinking about swapping it for an 18" or even a 16" :o

21. What's the best price you can find on a basic 10/22? I found that one for $199, but if you can get a better dealer price, then it would push the cost advantage even more in favor of the one I talked about.

22. cantankerously

Super flat tragectory - and more usable at longer distances. Plus you can take down larger size game with it (coyotes, wild dogs, wtc).

23. I'm gonna see how accurate my 16" TacSol barrel is once my new stock shows up for my 10/22.

24. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I've got a 16" black non threaded I am going to be getting rid of here in a few months :noes:

25. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

link to any information on it? i might be seriously interested.