Can you be physically addicted to sex?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by squishypets, May 4, 2008.

1. squishypets

squishypets New Member

I'm being serious. Is it possible to be addicted to sex? After I leave the bf's house, if we hadn't done anything that night, I get pissed. I have to have sex at least once a day, but when we have all day together, at least a couple times. The most times in a day we've done it was about 5 or 6, which is rare, since we hardly get to see each other anymore. If we can't have sex for some reason and I KNOW it's a good reason (like someone was close to the room door or people were trying to sleep lol), I at least want to make out or do something physical. I can't stand not having some sort of physical contact during some point of our night together. :-/ Some days, all I can do is go home and play with myself, which is great, but I like his physical presence much better. But is it possible to be that addicted? Or is just something about me that needs to connect not only emotionally, but physically as well? I feel like I have a much bigger sex drive than any guy I know.

UPDATE: I've only had sex with the guy I'm with and have no desire to seek out other partners or fuck buddies. Just putting that out there to make it clear that I'm not THAT addicted that I would have sex with any random person just for the sex.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New Member

Never thought of it, but technically I don't see why you couldn't. The stimulation in the brain is likely (and I definitely say likely since I've not studied something specific like this) to be fairly similar to the reward stimulation in the brain that you receive through accomplishing normal day tasks. Which is also similar to the reward stimulation that you simulate with some drugs. Withdrawal if you could call it that, might have some similar effects... I'm sure someone might have some more insight though...

3. squishypets

squishypets New Member

lol i've never even tried drugs (not even a cigarette), so i'm not exactly sure what withdrawal feels like, but i suppose if this thing with sex is withdrawal, then sure. lol

4. Abomb

Abomb New Member

is that you in your av

5. squishypets

squishypets New Member

yea

6. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

Gotta agree with this one.. one of my ex's was pretty addicted to sex as well but I never really got the impression it was just the sex she liked so much. She was a very insecure girl and I think the addiction stemmed from that. It was like she was scared I'd leave her if she didn't want to put out on an hourly basis.

Were you abused as a child emotionally/mentally? My ex had pretty uncaring/loving parents and I think she loved the emotional connection from sex.

7. squishypets

squishypets New Member

He doesn't always ask for it, and I'm afraid that if I ask, he's not in the mood and won't want to because he didn't ask first. Idk it's weird. Mmm, my parents were always bitchy and we fought a lot, and I was threatened to be kicked out a few times, but I wouldn't really say I was abused.

I really like how sex feels though, and I want to feel that every time I see him, like the orgasms and stuff. Mmm, sometimes our relationship has been a bit rocky and lately I'm not always quite sure how he feels about us, now that you mention the insecurity thing, maybe I am..

Because even when we seem close to breaking up or in a bad fight, the next time we have sex it's like everything is gonna be ok and I still feel loved and whatnot, so maybe having sex is just saying everything is ok for now and as long as we are still doing it, we will be ok.

omg.

8. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Yeah, I think you may have realized how that sounds after typing it out.

It doesn't sound that bad, but at the same time, that's something I would see as something to be wary of/concerned about.

As bad as it sounds to say this...I definitely see it as something that could be used against you, to manipulate you in a relationship.

Completely off topic here, great pic, you're cute. :wavey:

9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I have the same thing going on. When ever I see my SO, all I want to do is have sex... at least once. Like It could be 2am and he could be dropping me off at my house and I could be half asleep an I would still try as hard as I could to have sex. And if he says something like "we are too tired, we'll do it tomorrow" or "we've done it every day this week, lets wait" I get really angry. I've thought about it a lot, and I don't just think its the sex I enjoy. At this point in my life, I am kind of insecure and I have a lot going on, and I think I am addicted to the emotional point of it. I think I need to feel wanted and I need to feel loved, and I just need the connection. Plus in some weird kind of way, I need to feel like I do something right (having sex and getting my SO to orgasm). Plus I feel like if I have sex with him I'll make him happy and he will care about me more. I know... kind of wrong

10. Abomb

Abomb New Member

in that case, i will take one for team vag and help you out with your sexual addictions :naughty:

edit - you have that pyscho look in your eyes i can see it

+5 more hotness points

11. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

i suspect this is normal

12. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

pretty normal

Your love strategy might be primarily kinesthetic, meaning you get your comfortable, desired feedback from touch and emotion.

I'm the same way, but not to the extent of sex. I respond more to a hug than an "I love you".

On the contrary, the girl I'm with is primarily auditory (though I think it might be close with touching). So she receives better feedback from hearing things like "you're beautiful" or "I miss you" or "you're a douchebag", instead of me giving attention or dirty looks.

This is good for me because I talk openly about what I'm thinking.

It's very healthy to know your SO's love strategy. It's arguably the biggest reason why couples don't work after a certain period of time.

Maybe I'll even write a post about it when I'm taking a study break.

13. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

This makes me wonder how young girls these days view sex and love. For the 2 women who have this problem, or others who have not posted....how linked were love and sex in your minds when you were younger?

I know it won't do any good just to say it, but you ladies know that just because he takes one night off from sex, he still has the potential to love you, right?

And...contrary to what media/popular conventions would like you to think, guys aren't sex machines 24/7.

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

You're right.

Women have just been socially conditioned to repress sexuality (outside of their personal relationships).

And as I know some of us will agree, women have a higher emotional and physical stake in sex (they biologically/physically like it better!) and generally will desire it more (even if it's an unconscious, repressed desire).

As some women were talking about a couple weeks ago here, it's very healthy for a girl to be regularly sexually involved-- for physical, hormonal, emotional, etc. reasons.

I mean, fuck, I'm not going to deny our male sexuality, but you girls are just as sick as us sometimes!

15. nezfotnemom

nezfotnemom OT Supporter

I didn't bother to read all the posts in here, but wow. I think every guy WISHES his girl was like this. LOL. I dont even have a girlfriend right now and I think about it and want it with every attractive girl I see as a walk around. I would venture to say you just have a very nice libido.

16. squid

squid braap

I think you're "addicted" to the endorphins and dopamine that you get as a result of it. It's much the same as runners who say they're addicted and whatnot. You get used to having a certain hormone level in your body, and when it's taken away you get all weirded out.

So addicted? No. Conditioned to it? Absolutely. Time can heal this.

You should probably consider taking some time off once in a bit to ease any codependency issues you develop from it.

17. demosnat

demosnat New Member

You can be addicted to any behavior

18. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

there's a continuum between "normal" and "abnormal" behavior. You need to decide if this behavior is causing you cognitive stress, interfering with your life functions, and would make those around you (read: your boyfriend) uncomfortable or annoyed. I dont see anythign wrong with wanting to have sex every time you see your SO, because many of us do the same thing (I know I do). If youre having sex so many times a day, or all you can possibly think about is sex, and you cant go to work or school or perform daily life functions, that constitutes abnormal "sexually addictive" behavior.

19. Abomb

Abomb New Member

i am a sex machine. the only thing that curbs my voracious sexual appetite is some exotic bud.

20. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My first view of sex/love was that sex=babies. There was no connection between love and sex at first. Then, I think due to the media, the connection shifted from sex=babies to sex=fun, and that babies were just a consequence. This was probably age 11-15. I guess I never really connected love with sex until recently. When I first had sex I did it just because everyone else was doing it, so why not? (and I regret it) I didn't really have a huge connection with the guy I first slept with-we were in high school and it was just the thing to do. we broke up a month later. So at that point sex was just a curiosity. Right now, I really like my current SO and we've been together for about 1.5 years. I think I linked sex with love somewhere in here. So it was pretty recently.

21. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

sex and love were extremely linked in my mind when i was younger, and still are. I always knew I wanted to wait until I was in love to have sex, I didnt kid myself when I was a child and say i was going to wait until I was married, but I did always say I would wait until I foudn the right person. Granted, I was 15 when that happened, but still I did love him before i slept with him. Still together so i guess it worked out alright.

22. squid

squid braap

I think it's a question of degree.

I can be conditioned to giving speeches with a pen in my hand and thus feel weird and gittery when it's taken away when I have to give a speech. I'm not addicted to pens.

Addiction is an inability to function without something.

per Lord Wiki:

23. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Nice.

I do agree however that most guys are not this way, especially after the age of 21 or so.

I was Superman at 18.

24. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

your sex drive would easily match my sex drive. good job :bigthumb:

25. squishypets

squishypets New Member

LOL