Can you add additional drives to increase space on a raid 5 array?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

With the build in windows server 2003 software raid? or what about hardware solutions?

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

RAID 5 requires a minimum of three drives and it is recommended that all drives on the system be of the same size. The more drives you have on the server, the better RAID 5 will perform.recommend having five drives where one is used as a spare. This will allow for up to two drives to fail and the system can keep running.

I believe you can do this thru windows server 2003 disk management, not too familiar with it unfortunatly.

3. Homan

I know, I am talking about if I already have one set up.

For example I have a 10 disk raid 5 array with each disk having 10gb, giving me a total of a 90gb raid 5 array. If I wanted to add 50 more gb to that array, can I just put in 5 more 10gb disks?

Or do I have to completely wipe the whole thing and start over?

And that 2 drives fail thing, isn't that raid 6, where parity is spread over 2 drives? I don't think you can have more than 1 drive fail at the same time in a raid 5 array.

4. Darketernal

Yeah its called dynamic raid Resizing.

At the first step in the Windows Install so when the very First Blue Screen appears press the F6 key and have a copy of the RAID Drivers copied to the root of a Floppy, when asked push in the floppy and press enter and the RAID Drivers will be installed and at that point you should be able to setup the Array the way that you want it to work.

There was also some support on it here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323434

5. Darketernal

You need a driver for the controller on which you are attaching disks. Usually, you can find them on disk provided by manufacturer, or on manufacturer's web site.

6. Homan

I just run raid 1 on my OS/boot drives, I have 4 320gb PATA drives, so I wanted to use W2K3 server's build in RAID 5 to raid them and maybe add a few SATA 320gbs later :dunno:

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, you can do that. Just make sure that the RAID 5 is constructed of drives that have never been Basic Volumes. (at least, not since the disks were last partitioned.) For some reason, Dynamic Volumes that were converted from Basic Volumes won't allow expansion.