GUN Can WMD educate me on AR triggers?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Sep 28, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I've only fired one AR and it was my brothers which had a custom trigger. It seemed to be a single-stage trigger that had no takeup, no slop, and broke like glass at a nice low weight. All that kinda spoiled me and I'd like a nice trigger on my AR build.

I've been looking at different 2-stage triggers. Seen some from RRA, LMT, and other names. I assume these are easily installable just like a normal LPK, correct?

Anything I should look for or avoid?

Any other advice to give for a relative AR noob? I really wish there were some examples around here I could dry-fire. :hsd:

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:x:

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i have an RRA lpk and i have no slack on my trigger and the break is very clean :dunno:

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've had http://www.triggerwork.net/ do 2 trigger jobs for me on the stock lpk and I'm pretty happy. I'm sure its not a $200 trigger but for a range toy its an affordable option

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

And that's likely all it will be... :dunno: But that does look like a good option, Soy.

I just want a nice trigger. :hsd:

Edit: Bill might be the direction I head, pending some more input from other valuable WMDers... thanks Soy. :big grin: What's his lead time, usually?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm wanting to say it was like 7 days, 10 max each time, he was fast but I don't know what his work load is like now. I had both a 3 and 4 pound done and they're both good. Between those two and the k31 triggers I think they led to the selling of the SKS, I just couldn't shoot that trigger any more after using the others.

I'm wanting to say yar likes the the jard for a single stage, if you're c&r crew you can pick one of those up from midway or brownells with discount.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  7. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

8. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I've got the RRA two stage tweaked by White Oak Armory and it's a nice smooth trigger that seems reliable (200 rounds or so, certainly not extensively shot but it did well for those).

9. johnson

johnson New Member

Wait for the reviews on the geissle (sp) two stage. Supposed to be the bees knees for $150. It's non adjustable. I've heard of RRA two stage triggers breaking.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  10. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The single-stage trigger that came with my cheap DPMS parts kit is very nice. No creep or takeup; ~3mm of smooth pull and it fires.

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Giselle's are closer to $280, and yes they are regarded as the best. I will have one at some point. :hsd:

12. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

way to study fag

13. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

Unless you pre ordered that from adco you won't be getting it till like January.

14. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

He's talking about the SSA trigger that bill Geissele designed similar to the Hi speed version but without all the adjustments.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

First unless your some kind of bench rest shooter I would not do a 2 stage trigger. The reset on a 2 stage trigger is just too long. There is also too much pre travel.

For most people including anyone who wants to rock and roll you want a single stage trigger. As long as the trigger breaks nice and clean it will be plenty good for long range precision work.

There are what I call the generic match triggers like the RRA, colt, etc etc. While many people shoot these triggers just fine, many people shoot stock triggers just fine. A true match trigger is something completely different. When people pull on the AR trigger I know to take a seat because they are going to be fingering the AR for a while. They usually have this look on their face like WTF. Until you pull on a real match trigger you just really don't know.

As far as match trigger go I think the nicest kit trigger is the Jewel. It's got these ratchet gear things and it made me go WTF! They are pretty sweet. Midwayusa.com had them for $99 not too long ago.

The other trigger kit I like is the JP trigger. This is among the fastest triggers I've shot. The trigger reset is short.

The trigger in my AR is a JARD. While Jard are not bad I don't think they are as nice as a Jewel or a JP. The reason I have a JARD is because my AR smith likes using them. My Jard trigger is unlike any other JARD. The thing is bad ass.

A lot of people are sack riding the Geissele. I've pulled on a few and I did not think it was better than the JP or the Jewel. I have a hard time getting past how gay the name is. I mean really ... Geissele.

There are several routes you can go for a trigger. You can get a kit and install it yourself. While this can be done there is something about a real AR smith putting the trigger in. I just like knowing it's right. My buddy has a nice trigger he did himself. It went 3 shot burst a few times. He's more or less got it right now. Yeah this is what I pay a AR smith for.

I do not recommend the one piece drop in triggers. Chip McCormick has a one piece drop in. I shot one for a few years before I knew better. JP has a one piece drop in too. I would say they are a little better than a generic match trigger but not as good as a trigger kit.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

My AR smith charged me $140 for my trigger including labor. I think this is one reason he uses the jards. They are less expensive and really the magic is in his polishing and fitting. whatever the case mine came out exceptional. He often refers people to me. "Melhorn said to let me finger your rifle trigger".

17. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Thanks all for the input.

yar, what do you think of Bill Springfield? That seems to be the route that I'm leaning towards the most right now.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I have not inspected his work. If he is local to you I would go that route.

If you have no references for local guys this is what I would say/ask.

How much AR work do you do. Do you do stuff for competition shooters like for 3 gun? Personally if he started bad mouthing competition shooters I would take this as a bad sign but I'm way biased. If he starts dropping names of the local fast guys or big name guys I would start paying attention.

A good smith should ask what your looking for and what you want.

I would say I'm look for a trigger that is real clean and has to have a short reset. Trigger has to be reliable I don't want it doubling or anything like that. Tell him your looking for something that you can call shots out to 300 with and still shred on the short range stuff.

Try to be convincing like you know what your talking about.

19. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Nice AV dickwad. :fawkd:

20. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

I have a two stage Jewell in my AR and I fucking *LOVE* it. I paid $260 for it at a local shop (Seen them for $190ish online). It breaks like glass and to be honest even with two stages I don't think it's reset is too long.

21. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I hear that two-stage triggers have durability and longevity issues in general.

22. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:rofl: I'll try...