Can they track my Internet sites???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phil1, Mar 19, 2004.

1. phil1

phil1 Guest

I have two computers at work in which one has a LAN coonection with Firewall and the other is just a dialup 56K modem. I use the dialup computer to do my personal items on, such as banking and ebay when I have time. Originally I used the LAN connected computer and they caught me on OT. They were watching through the system, not physically as I am in a locked office. Luckily I was only written up for it so I don't visit OT anymore except for this post. My question is though, can dial up connections be traced in anyway?????

2. Nocera

Nocera ...

Yes, it's possible. Although they wouldn't monitor it remotely if it's not connected to the LAN. They would have check the site logs from that computer.

Anyway, get to work!

3. phil1

phil1 Guest

So they would have to check my history folder and cookies??? Which is easily erased.

4. carlin

carlin Guest

u know better than that :squint: :o

5. Nocera

Nocera ...

No... They can install 3rd party software to track you as well.

6. Nocera

Nocera ...

:o

7. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Yeah if it's not connected to the land they could either A) Install some sort of tracking software/key logger, or B) Check the Internet History which could also be saved with a program.

8. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

jesus phil1.. do you work for the third reich or something?

9. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Yeah, what he said! :big grin:

10. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Depends on the laws in your state, they could monitor your dail-up connection as well. But honestly I doubt that they had go that far. It is technically possible to monitor the dail-up connection, just a matter of tapping the phone line with the proper equipment. (which I think isn't economical unless they really want to nail your ass)

What courious me is the fact that they will allow you to have a dial-up connection at the first place. From a security prespective, that's not a good idea as far as company security policy goes.

11. Woodmaster

Woodmaster New Member

Deleting history, cache etc through the browser or even manually in the folder won't get rid of it completely. They can always go into dos and pull it up. I highly doubt that they know how to do that. It's funny how many IT departments aren't very savvy beyond the actual operating system, end user side.

12. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter