GUN Can they really believe this?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Apr 23, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/op...ker23apr23,1,5716869.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Calls for armed citizenry rely on belief in superhero fantasies
    Originally published April 23, 2007

ATLANTA // Kids love superheroes because they're invincible, brave, all-powerful. Children can suspend disbelief to look up in the sky for Superman or around the corner for Wonder Woman. Teenagers are enamored of a TV series called Heroes, which revolves around young people with - you guessed it - superpowers.
    But it's more than a little disconcerting to hear that so many adults also believe in superheroes. They must. Why else would they insist that the best way to prevent carnage of the sort that occurred last week at Virginia Tech is to put guns into every available hand? They're indulging their childhood fantasies, remembering the movies in which the Caped Crusader or John Wayne instantly dispatched the bad guy.

In real life, police officers - trained to fire in the heat of battle - hit their intended targets only about 40 percent of the time, according to University of South Carolina criminologist Geoffrey Alpert, an expert in police shootings. And we all know about wartime "friendly fire" tragedies, when well-trained soldiers accidentally kill their own.
    Yet conservative commentators have been in high dudgeon for days, suggesting that students with guns could have guaranteed a Hollywood ending in which an unflappable sharpshooter would have felled Cho Seung-Hui with a quick head shot. Michelle Malkin was among those who denounced a Virginia law that excludes college campuses from areas where concealed weapons are permitted.

"What if just one student in one of those classrooms had been in lawful possession of a concealed weapon? ... It darned well isn't too early for me to raise questions about how the unrepentant anti-gun lobbying of college officials may have put students at risk," she said.

That utterly preposterous argument comes straight from the National Rifle Association. The gun lobby now peddles an insane policy of making firearms as ubiquitous as cell phones.

The NRA has supported measures that would prevent employers from banning firearms in vehicles in their parking lots. Despite police opposition, it has pushed policies that would allow motorists to tuck firearms under the seat of their car. It has lobbied against closing the gun-show loophole, which allows private gun sales without a background check. No responsible gun owner should accept the NRA's irrational positions.

My father certainly would not have. An avid hunter and veteran of combat in Korea, my father owned shotguns, rifles and a handgun. Yet he was fanatical about gun safety.

When I moved to Atlanta just out of college, I told him I was going to buy a handgun. He strongly disapproved, believing I'd be more likely to get injured with my own gun than fend off an attacker with it.

"You don't need a gun," he said. "You need to stay out of dangerous places." I took his advice.

His concerns are borne out by the FBI's statistics about gun crimes. In 2005, 8,890 people were murdered with firearms. Guns were also used in 142,471 cases of robbery and 151,118 cases of aggravated assault. By contrast, there were only 143 cases of justifiable homicide by civilians using a firearm.

If dozens of Virginia Tech students had been armed, "Lord knows what a disaster we would have had," Mr. Alpert said.

"If they had had a Jack Bauer, maybe so. But the world isn't composed of Jack Bauers," he noted.

So all those armchair heroes - all those firearm fanatics who claim everything would be different if they'd been in one of those classrooms with a gun - should don their red capes and take a leap.

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

wow. the only fact he put in the entire thing is that cops only hit 40% of the time. great article :ugh:

3. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

someone with a sub to that website email him and tell him most people that carry shoot far more than any police officer ever does.

4. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

they failed to mention how many of those cops only fire their weapon once a year during qualifying.

5. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

:)

6. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Smelly Pirate Hookers, every single one

7. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

If I was his dad I would have told him not to buy a gun also. The guy is an idiot.

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

I wish this were true.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I wish I was his dad so I could have pulled out.

10. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I'm surprised cops are as high as 40% accurate.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i completely agree. less guns will equal less crime. its the only logical conclusion :)

12. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Does anyone know what kind of shots police are taking? A 60% miss rate isn't much to worry about at the range (certainly not bragging rights), but in real life those bullets are going somewhere. Or how those shots might compared to the shots a civilian might have to take? I was just wondering if the police have have a wider range of duties and situations and thus a wider range of type of shots taken and a higher ratio of less probably shots as well.