can the police force you to remove mods?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by vokuro, May 10, 2006.

1. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

simple and ignorant question. in california, if you are pulled over and cited for illegal mods ie. tubro, exhaust. can you be forced to remove these mods? or simply ticketed?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

depends on the mod. Some california codes won't let you operate on public roadways without certain equipment...

mostly they issue fix-it tickets, but they can require you to tow the vehicle.

But if you get a ticket, pay the fine, you can still be ticketed again if you don't fix it (duh)

3. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

can you recall any performance mods that might not allow you to operate on public roads? some things go without saying, like driving without a hood perhaps or using slicks. im more interested in what can get you in trouble performance wise

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

performance-wise, not much. Don't piss people off with exhaust that breaks noise laws, and you're probably okay.

Only mods I can think of that they would tow for are "safety" reasons.

Tail lights w/o red reflector

or a bagged vehicle where the bottom of the fender falls below the top of the rim. (not legal) or a bagged vehicle that lays frame.

But don't be a dick to the cop, and he shouldn't have a reason to look in your vehicle that closely...

5. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

as i expected. so when a cop askes you to "pop the hood" the worst that can usually happen is a list of fines, not a court order to remove anything. thanks man

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

In California I believe you can be forced to remove anything that isn't CARB-certified (goes for anything related to the engine). Might even get your car impounded. But then, that stuff should get you failed at inspection time, so as long as it passed inspection that way there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

A loud exhaust can get you cited for noise pollution in most places. Fix-it ticket, generally.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

this is wrong.

In CA if you put a turbo/supercharger on a car that wasn't originally equipped you can be forced to remove it. If you alter the exhaust you can be forced to put it back to factory. If you change the intake, modify the suspension, ............... the list continues.

8. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Someone posted a video while back, it was a police training video saying they can have you pop your hood, if you refuse you are arrested, and if they find stuff that is illegal your car is towed

9. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I was looking for that actually. Found the link on another board, but the video had been removed from YouTube for copyright infringment.

10. Y2kAccord

I agree if you have a modification on your car that is not street legal you bet the cops are not going to just let you leave on it on there.

11. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

could always do what i did....my pop lives in idaho where there are no, i mean absolutely no laws on emmisions i rolled in cali in my fiero, with a idaho plate for like 3years no tickets or anything for it
    had oversized cam, flowmaster, shorty headers.........oh thing was nasty depends on where u live to i think

12. vokuro

vokuro Active Member

slick move, unfortunately my pops lives in oregon and i know they have smog, although i dont know that they have all the other bullshit rules cali has. looks like i will try and find carb approved turbo kits and upgrades. hopefully i dont run into any problems

13. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

yeah i remember that video. the guy drove an eg or something, right? funny video.

14. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

My gf got pulled over, the cop told her to pop her hood. The only mod she'd done to the car was an intake system. The cop gave her a ticket for it. Not just a ordinary fix it ticket, but mandatory removal of intake system, and she had to take it into a Test Only center, and had to go to court for it to. Fuck California and its stupid fucking laws!!!

15. toOn

toOn New Member

Does anyone know what happens in the UK?

I know things are generally a lot stricter but I don't know what happens.

16. OFI

OFI New Member

afaik not alot happens in the UK the only time you have to worry is when you have an accident because if you haven't declared your mods to your insurance company then the policy is void. If you get stopped and have to provide documents all they ask is that you have insurance..

17. ghettoraid

ghettoraid evil chairman kaga

ca - short answer: yes

long answer: they can't, as long as you don't mind having your car impounded and destroyed.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Depends on your location. In the cities, we have I&M... But out in the boons, they don't. It's not state-wide. And our I&M is much different from your SMOG test. "CARB-legal" which you hear so often on aftermarket parts is "CALIFORNIA"... Oregon doesn't enforce that requirement. Having Oregon plates would keep you clear, but you had better have an ORDL, as well, if you have Oregon plates... (unless the car is registered to someone else in Oregon) because then the cop would have PC that you didn't reg the vehicle in Cali within the 30day window.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not true. Powerdyne, Vortech, etc have street-legal supercharger kits.

Toyota Tacomas and Tundras never came from the factory with forced induction, yet You can get the TRD (made by Alpine) Supercharger for them, aftermarket, and they are street legal. Same with many other vehicles.

20. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

down at the big hotspot here on friday nights i saw this turbo civic hatch pulled over, we drove by shortly after and saw the cop had called a tow truck and they were towing it :hsughno: i assume it was due to the turbo kit, but i dunno

21. thatoneguy

thatoneguy OT Supporter

this thread is the reason why i'm glad I live in oklahoma.

we don't even have inspections.....

cats? why?
    mufflers? who needs 'em?

straight pipes and true duals? why not?

as long as you aren't stupid, you don't get pulled over....
    and as long as you don't get pulled over, you don't get fix-it tickets.
    if you do get a fix-it, you have 48 hours to do so.....and the ticket is dropped.

cop didn't see it.......I didn't do it.

22. Y2kAccord

But on the downside.. you have to live in Oklahoma :mamoru: (I lived there for 8yrs when I was younger)

23. thatoneguy

thatoneguy OT Supporter

true that....

but hey.....we have some of the cheepest gas in the country, right now.

it's all good.

24. Mojo

Mojo New Member

dont forget when your vehicle gets impounded, theirs people working at the impound lot that jack your shit if you leave it around (subs, amps, deck, etc).

id personally take the fix-it citation and take responsibility