can someone tell me where to run the power wire

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by M-1000, Aug 27, 2002.

1. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

on a 2001 ford taurus sedan?

2. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

if you cant find a spot, you can always jsut run it under the car, as long as its protected, i had to, unless i wanted an inch tall spot on my carpet, but most fwd cars are a bitch, imo.

3. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

:werd:

everything is so crammed in on the fwd, i cant see shit under the hood infront of the driver side firewall

im just gonna get the damn thing installed at a car stereo shop :mad:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2002
  4. idontgiveashit

5. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Don't look on the engine side of the firewall, look underneath the dash. You should be able to find several places to run wires there.

6. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Yo dood, I have a 1996 taurus and I am "currently" in the process of adding an amp to it. I had to put it aside because I am out of my house for 3 weeks to visit relatives.

Here's my thread about it. http://forums.off-topic.net/showthread.php?threadid=343668&pagenumber=1

I had a guy at best buy poke around under the dash to find a hole for my 4ga wire. He said he couldn't find one, so he said he's going to have to drill a hole. Double check for your car. The guts of our cars are literally the same, but I would suggest checking. I think all of the signal from the head unit runs along the left side of the car to the rear control unit located in the trunk (on the left side), so I believe that the power wire should run on the right.

I am mounting my amp on the left side of the trunk, so the guy at best buy is like I should run the wire on the left because it will be shorter and I wont have that much wire running through my engine compartment. I think I am still going to run it on the right, unless someone here says not to.

7. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

my dad wont let me do it myself :rolleyes:. he wouldnt even let me install the speakers. so i gotta go get it installed because theres too much of a risk i will fuck something up

8. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Shit, that sucks. Initially, I was planning on having my amp installed, but some guys here convinced me that I can do it myself, so I decided to. Also, I want to warn you. When looking for places to do the install, make sure you know waht wires, etc they are using. Half the places I talked to were cutting me short on the quality of parts they were going to use (ESPECIALLY the gauge of the power wire). Are you using the stock stereo? If so, the fact that our cars have a rear control unit(RCU) eliminates the need to run rca's all the way from the HU in the front of the car. So, for me, I just tapped the wires from the RCU. My hardest part is going to run the power wire, which I am paying some guy $20 at best buy to do it.

Good luck. When I am done, I am going to post pics and details of my install over here as well as an artical at www.tauruscarclub.com

9. M-1000

M-1000 COME FLY AWAY

im just gonna get it pro installed

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Guest

Drop the under dash fuse box and you will see a grommet with a cable run through it.

11. idontgiveashit

shit, make sure its a PRO install, not Bestbuy or somewhere like that, my friend took his car there and had an amp installed and they ziptied the power wire and rca's together.