MIL Can someone tell me the pros/cons of ROTC vs OTS?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Thisisnew, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Im considering joining the AF and Im looking into my options. Im currently a freshman at college, and see that I can do either ROTC or go to OTS post-grad. Is either one better/more sought after/etc? Any benefits or negatives of doing a specific one? It seems that OTS is much more competitive to get into, but I have no idea :o

Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated :x:

2. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

OTS is way hard to get into right now. ROTC is probably what you're gonna want to do. Join up at semester and then you'll take the first part of the AS1 year next year. So long as you can maintain a GPA of at least 2.0(2.5 if you want to compete for a scholarship), can run a mile and a half in 12:30 or less, can do about 33 pushups in a minute and can also do around 40 crunches you'll meet those requirements. So long as you have the GPA, physical ability, don't have a lot of civil involvement or have more than one MIP you'll meet the standards.

3. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

still through ROTC not all cadets get contracted, contracts are getting more competitive. And 13 weeks > 4 years

4. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Really? I thought all were contracted, and that was a pretty major factor...it would suck to not get into OTS, but if the shots are the same for ROTC then yeah 13 weeks > 4 years. I'd like to think Ill be pretty competitive by the end of my 4 years, but I dont really know how competitive it truly is :dunno:

What about something like study abroad? Would that effectively eliminate my chances at ROTC?

5. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

AFROTC will contract you as soon as you successfully graduate from field training or are awarded a scholarship. It may take two years, but if you successfully graduate field training it will happen. Typically getting a field training slot means that you have to pass the PFT. As long as you aren't worthless and you don't give the cadre any issues your MPA should be high enough that you shouldn't be worried about not getting a slot.

unfortunately there are attendance based requirements every semester so you may not be able to study abroad. you'd have to talk to the cadre and ask them about it. There are also cultural immersion programs available for certain cadets to spend a couple weeks in a foreign country.

what's your major?

as far as getting kicked out you have to: get an MIP while in, show an indifference to military training(not meeting the attendance requirements, showing a lack of respect for authority, etc), or failing to pass the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test. It's a percentile based test where you have to score above a 10 percentile on one section, and a 15 percentile on another. it isn't a hard test but it's gonna be one of the suckiest 3 hour endeavors of your life.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Still wish I could get out and do ROTC for grad school but the drop in income would really put a damper on my lifestyle.

7. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

The cultural immersion program sounds interesting. I currently dont have a major (only a freshman). I know they often prefer engineers, but I dont have the math skills :o How do they feel about other majors? Other science majors (ie bio)?

One problem with ROTC is that my school (SUNY Binghamton) doesnt have their own program, they are have a sister program with Cornell. Makes me kinda regret not going to Cornell (was accepted, but couldnt afford it); I could have just went and did ROTC there and had them pay for it :hs:

When do you have to make a true commitment to the military? Is it once you enter ROTC, or is there a "waiting period" where you can opt out? OTS seems better because its a shorter period of time, but it also seems highly competitive while ROTC seems like a sure thing. Also on that note, when you do ROTC what are the chances of getting the job you want compared to OTS?

I know I should talk to the ROTC guy here (or at cornell rather); I sent them an email but Im going home for break so probably wont be able to get in person contact til I get back. Thanks for the advice though until then :o

8. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

You can have any major and get a commission. We have a couple aviation majors, general studies, history, biology, general sciences, and the technical degrees(engineering, math, chemistry, physics, etc.)

you don't have any commitment at all until you contract.

and a lot of schools have crosstown agreements with nearby schools so although you don't go to cornell you should still be able to enroll in ROTC

as far as getting a certain job in ROTC the biggest things that play into that are your MPA, which is based on several things which are all for the most part under your control. What job are you looking into?

we have one guy at the det that is finishing up his masters. it should only take him about a year and a half or so from now. plus people on the GI bill get paid every month. there is one person on scholarship making stipend and getting paid her allowance from the GI bill. it's quite the racket.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  9. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Most of the pilot/intelligence fields seem most interesting to me, but I havent given a real look-through of all the available jobs. Also, what is an MPA?

10. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I've considered it. AECP + GI Bill would be pretty baller. I'd have to get out, though. I guess it wouldn't be all bad.

11. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

^don't people through AECP get paid SSGT pay?

military performance average. it's a quantitative thing made up of a couple different sections: GPA, physical fitness test score, wing commander rating, cadre rating, and amount of extra physical fitness points(stuff you do outside of scheduled PT)

in order to get a pilot slot it is best for you to do well at field training, middle to top third is best. wing commander rating plays into that also, TBAS score(I dunno what the hell that stands for), pilot score on the AFOQT, amount of flight hours(up to a certain amount). already having a private pilot's license doesn't even calculate into it.

As far as intel is concerned, you can get it with any degree, but from what one intel officer told me they kinda favor international studies majors.

the other thing is that each year a different number of slots in each career field are available for a year of graduation. based upon that cadets are racked and stacked nationally. the higher up you are the more likely you are to get your top pick.

12. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

I'm confident that I can make myself competitive enough to do that :o

What is wing commander rating/cadre rating? And having flight hours already gives you a better chance at a pilot slot? How would you get those?

I was actually looking into international studies, but of course my school doesnt have it :hsd: closest we have is poli sci with a concentration in international affairs. As far as pilot, Im sure engineering degrees are what they mainly favor...but are their any other degrees (or anything else for that matter) that can give me an edge?

13. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

ROTC
    Pro's: Learn more, more money in it, more relaxing pace
    Con's: Retards that waste time by thinking they want to do ROTC - get scholarships and then drop out, having to put up with the BS for 4 years, standards immediately apply once you contract. Eats away at your fun college years.

OCS
    Pros: You get through the suck a lot faster, Don't have to put up with half hearted turds, more organized, you can relax in college
    Cons: More demanding pace, less money, no job input (at least for the army), learn less about "officerhood"

14. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

so i just found out that its probable that my past drug use disqualifies me from basically everything :o :wtc:

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

another CON with ROTC you are at the whim of the AF in terms of your job, with OTS you know your job before you ever set foot in the AF

16. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

the army is the exact opposite, ocs gets the bottom of the bottom after ROTC and academy

17. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

:werd: and the detachment commander has huge pull over what you get.

18. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

the wing commander rating is where they give you a certain score out of so many points based on what they think about you. So long as you meet your suspenses and don't give them any trouble they should give you some good marks.

flight hours count for a small percentage. I think the max is 500 hours. You can get flight hours by working toward your private pilot license, so although you don't get any points for actually having the license you get some points for having some experience. There are a lot of people that don't have any hours that get slots.

you can get a pilot slot with any degree. your major doesn't really play into it. You just need a technical/engineering degree if you want to become a test pilot.

19. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Good to know.

As to drugs, will use automatically disqualify me? Ive been looking around, and it seems that any more than experimental use (<5? <10?) of marijuana will bar you from joining as an officer. I have no problems admitting my use (I have used much more than marijuana, although I currently do not use anything and do not have anymore plans to), but will doing so prevent me from joining rotc/ots?

20. burn__

burn__ New Member

talk with the detachment and see what they say. just about everything is waiverable under the right circumstances.

21. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

Not for officers.

22. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

so long as it was just experimental use you should be fine. i dunno what experimenting is defined as. you'll also get to have a talk with the det commander about your drug use...

23. everything is waiverable

24. burn__

burn__ New Member

for ROTC almost everything is waiverable given the right circumstances...

25. Thisisnew

Thisisnew Guest

Im pretty sure my use of (most) drugs would be greater than whatever number they decide constitutes experimentation :o But it is good to know that this is waiverable. I have no problems telling the truth about the whole past, hopefully they feel it wont affect me now :hs: Would this prevent me from getting any jobs (or security clearances) ? Or is it once its waived, it no longer affects you?