Can someone recommend a hard-core chest routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by black jesus, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I'm having a tough time getting development, and my chest is way behind the rest of my body.

My current chest routine changes every 3 weeks, but looks like this currently
    db press or incline bb press
    db decline pec flies
    dips
    fly machine

5x8, where the 9th rep would be technical failure. I can't do pullovers, it makes my shoulder come apart.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

why?

flat bench with db's.. x10, x8, xFAIL (should be less than 8) -- keep upping the weight
    pec deck flys .. x10, x8, xFAIL (should be less than 8) -- keep upping the weight
    incline bench db's.. x10, x8, xFAIL (should be less than 8) -- keep upping the weight
    dips.. x10, x8, xFAIL (should be less than 8) -- dunno what kinda weight you can do here

I put the pecdeck between flat bench and incline so I can give my triceps a rest and get the most out of the chest movement.. i don't want my triceps to get fried or fail and prevent me from doing a good chest routine..

You should be going slow .. i dont like to lock out at the top of my lifts, I prefer to keep the tension on my muscles at the top of my lifts, rather than my elbows. bring the weight low, but not low enough to hurt your shoulders and contract and squeeze/flex your chest at the top of each movement. mind/muscle connection is very important. go lightweight for the first set, and just concentrate on your form .. SQUEEZE when you get to the top of the lift, even with the lightweight and you'll notice the difference.

3. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

opps, check the edit.

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

drop the reps, up the weight

5. RunDMT

RunDMT OT Supporter

Try picking something and sticking with it. I would never do 20 sets for a bodypart though that just burns me out. I'd rather go harder for fewer sets. For exercises I have good luck with incline db presses and flat barbell presses to the neck with a wide grip.

6. iceburgslim

iceburgslim Guest

7. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

thanks. I hope my problem is just mental focus. The rest of my gains have been great, and I'm pretty happy with my progress, but chest lags way behind.

8. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:werd: 10-12 and push yourself as hard as you can > 20 half-assed sets

Also, BJ.. you might want to go x8, x6, xFAIL, hopefully getting 5 reps in on the last set.. 6 should be almost there, but not quite.

9. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I think thib is coming out with his hss-100 for chest soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.