A&P Can someone please explain aperture to me?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Curren$y, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

I know what the definition means but could someone please explain it to me? I just picked up my nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens and i'm wondering what all the numbers mean? The 22 16 11 8 5.6 4 2.8 1.8 on the lens. Do i let the camera adjust that or do i? Thanks for the help.

2. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I don't know any technical specs or anything, but in REALLY broad terms:

The higher the number (F-stop), the smaller the "hole" that your camera lets light into is. The lower the number, the bigger the hole is.

So, in low-light, F/1.8 is going to be the best if you can't leave the shutter open for a long time, because the hole is bigger, and the lens lets more light in.

3. nicklk

nicklk New Member

4. Matt-AWD

Matt-AWD Active Member

A lower aperture will also change your depth of field. Read that wikipedia link.
    Lock the aperture at f/22 and you'll be able to select the aperture on the camera itself or let the camera choose it in program or shutter priority modes.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

to answer the last part, you have to set the aperture on the lens to f/22 (or the max on other lenses) since it is digital. These lens are ideal older bodies that don't allow you to change the settings via the camera body.

6. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Another thing to remember that ISO, aperture, and shutter speed are all correlated to one another. If you're good at math, it'll come easily.

For example, if the scene you are shooting is current metered for ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/60 but you want to increase your depth of field to f/4.0, you either have to change the ISO from 100 to 200 *or* change the shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/30. Since you reducing the amount of light by 1 stop from 2.8 to 4.0, you have to adjust the iso or shutter speed, otherwise, the image will come out dark (underexposed).

7. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

it's the ratio of the aperture size inside the lens to the focal length

this is how we can approximate how much light is passing through the lens at a given aperture (ratio) size

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

*sigh* This is why I went to the trouble of writing up the EDU on Basic and Flash photography you'll find at the top of this forum.

This is an excerpt from said write up. I suggest that you read the whole thing to learn more.

9. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

JCol > *