Can someone look at my shopping list? [new rider + gear]

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Raider007, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

Okay, after doing some research and all that. Can someone hold me hand and tell me if I'm doing good or if I'm missing anything?
    I saved the other thead asking about the jacket, figured i'd just make a whole list

Here are the basics:
    • taking MSF course this winter (dec/jan)
    • looking into getting that 2008 Ninja 250R
    • East Bay/Central Valley weather (ie: hot in the summer (90's+), nice in fall/spring (70-80's), slightly chilly and sometimes wet in the winter(high 40s - 50s))
    • when I first start riding (6 month-1 year) just driving around town and to work (20 miles, 10 small city traffic + 10 backroad or 8 backroad/2 highway). Just want to get comfortable with the bike and learn what I need to learn before stepping up or doing long hauls

Helmet: Scorpion EXO 400
    http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products/ProductDetails.cfm/Search/Results/ProductID/470179#
    [​IMG]

Jacket: Tour Master Mens Intake Jacket
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Tour_Master_Mens_Intake_Jacket--601934.html
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gloves: Alpinestars SP-X Gloves
    http://www.helmetharbor.com/Products/ProductDetails.cfm/Search/Results/ProductID/475582#
    [​IMG]

Boots: Sidi Doha Boots
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Sidi_Doha_Boots--34-SIDI-21.html
    [​IMG]

or should I look at full boots instead?

Sidi B-2 Boots
    http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Sidi_B-2_Boots--34-SIDI-26.html
    [​IMG]

2. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

get some pants

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

4. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

good choice on the new ninja.
    imho if your going to get boots look into Oxtar(they changed their name to something else i forget what) or Alpinestars Sidi boots are really narrow. as for jackets I've seen textile jackets bust open but honestly if your just primarily going to use the bike for commuting its fine. I'd stay pants boots bring a pack with some regular shoes/pants so you can change at work.

also I know black looks cool but drivers wont able to see you. I mean they already have trouble seeing us anyway. post pics of the bike when you get it.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

Yeah, I'm a black on black type person (current car is black on black with limo tint) but I was actually thinking about visibility on a bike as well. I'm thinking instead of an all black jacket (like the front above) get the black/grey mix (back view above) instead. So you can see it better.

and probably won't get the bike for a couple more months, but absolutely I'll post it. Gotta get the gear little by little first and the MSF course before the bike.

I have narrow feet as well, so the Sidi's might work? we'll see what happens. Also, I'd need to bring a bag to work regardless, I work a corporate job, so I'd need to at least bring shoes to work.

6. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Take a look at the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket, it's very versatile and may be more practical for all-season riding.

7. Junkie

someone on BARF has an (old) ex250 with black retroreflective tape on it, which is difficult to see during the daytime but great at night in headlights:
    [​IMG]

8. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

While a stealthy look is cool and "hip", motorcycles are already hard to see with factory colors even in the daytime. If you are a new rider being visible is going to be your primary passive defense. While it may not look "cool" to most, the brighter and more obnoxious you are, the better chance you won't be hit by a typical car/truck.

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

went and tried on some helmets today and some jackets...
    I'm fucking tiny :(

Helmet I'm a small...
    the Tour master jacket I'm an extra small

5'10 150 lbs :hs:

10. Junkie

I wear an XL or XXL helmet, and at this point a L jacket but used to be an M with the same head size :rofl:

11. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I'd go with gauntlet gloves, offers better protection.

Alpinestars SP2. Check em out.

12. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

held gloves are nice

13. caucasion

caucasion New Member

I just picked up a joe rocket alter ego 2.0 for $250. its a textile on the outside with a mesh jacket on the inside, so more or less its two jackets in one. I laso bought some alpinestar gloves however they dont seem to feel tight around my wrists. how tight should they be??

14. themadpaki

themadpaki There is no money. OT Supporter

get full boots yo.

15. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Are they gauntlet or shorty?
    If they're gauntlet, you don't want them to be too tight around your wrist because they will reduce circulation to your hands and be uncomfortable. I have the wrist strap on my race gloves as loose as it will go because otherwise they're uncomfortable.

16. caucasion

caucasion New Member

they're not the gauntlets but i understand what you mean. it turns out my hands are alot smaller than i though and i actually wear a small :hs:

17. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

i wouldnt recommend scorpion.....heavy ass helmets in general.

check out arai, suomy, shoei.

get a leather jacket. better protection, better insulation. alpinestars and dainese ftw.

18. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

ick Scorpion helmets ftl, I hate them... like Bavarian3 said, Arai/Suomy/Shoei, the Suomy Vandal is a reasonaby priced helmet but is miles better than the Scorpion. Also look at Shark, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

19. toezter

toezter New Member

i love my B-2's, can't ride more than a mile without them.

they're a tad bit more narrower than the A*, but still work for me even with wide feet. they're decent comfortable, i usually wear them into class, i've also did a whole 18 holes of disc golf with them on also!

20. Jerm

Jerm I

The Scorpion EXO700 is a bit lighter then the EXO400. Uses a different shell of some kind.

Stick to the Scorpion, it's a good helmet for a new rider. Much more reasonably priced as compared to the ones mentioned above and still offer similar features.

21. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

All depends on what you think your head is worth I guess :dunno: Personally I always buy the best helmet I can afford, not only do they hold up better in a crash but they're far more comfortable.

You can get a Suomy Vandal for about $75 more than a EXO700.

22. Jerm

Jerm I

Per the study done some time back, many of the cheaper helmets faired better in crash tests. This is due to dispersal of energy in regards to the padding.

I know you read about it... but just in case...
    http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/

Here's a big discussion about head protectors...
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2004353

I must admit, Suomy makes beautiful helmets :)

23. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Scorpion passed all standards including SNELL. (big fucking whoopdedoo if you know anything about SNELL ratings) So in that regard, Scorpion is a good reliable helmet for the money.

But expensive is not always better. (and in repeated tests by various groups, it's usually not)

As for more expensive being better, that's a myth that's been proven in repeated testing. One of the best helmets in lab testing has been an $80 Z1R helmet. As for expensive being a better fit, again that's purely subjective based on the wearer. Some people have oval heads, others round. Some have longer chins, others more round. Fit also effects things like noise and pressure points. It's much like the bike itself. If your helmet doesn't fit you properly, then no matter who makes it, it's not the best helmet FOR YOU.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  24. Mr Jeffrey

Mr Jeffrey New Member

Plus, you cant beat the "sex-cloth" linings!

Also, Suomy is both Snell and British Standard approved.

25. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

I've read that study, still not going to wear an $80 helmet. I've worn shitty HJC's and other cheap helmets and I won't sacrifice my comfort for a few bucks. Two helmets stand out in my mind, the Scorpion (was given it by my rep to test it) and a $170 ZOX. The weight and noise of the Scorpion was so bad I refused to wear it again after one 3-hour ride. There's more to an expensive helmet than safety - my Spec 1R and RX7 are light, comfortable, and have all the nifty little features (good venting, nice lining, etc) that make life easier.

Also that cheaper helmets = better thing... I've seen a low-end helmet (ZOX or something similar) split nearly in two from a lowside in a second gear corner. Not something confidence-inspiring IMO.