A&P can someone learn me about color profiles?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i don't have the foggiest idea what i'm supposed to be doing here.

I have a Canon MP500 printer. Prints nice enough stuff for what I want.

So I work up an image in LR to how i really like it on my screen. Looks great. I go to print it, and there's a shitty green hue on everything. i'm sure it has something to do with color profiles, but other than that, i have no idea what i'm supposed to be doing.

do i load a profile for my monitor (dell 30") and my printer into LR somehow? i don't get it.

:o

2. mojito

mojito New Member

calibrate your monitor first
    Lightroom works in prophotoRGB, where as internet explorer and other programs use sRGB
    download a .icc profile for the paper/printer combo you use
    in the LR print module, under color management, select other and go in and find that .icc file (and any other you might frequently use)
    then select that .icc profile
    click print
    in the printer driver turn off color management (or no color management)

print and it should be good.

I can take screen caps, but I'm on an epson so it will look slightly different

3. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i always wondered ... does someone RENT a monitor calibration gizmo? I don't see why I would spend ~$100 on one, and really only use it once. :dunno:

I rarely look at images in anything other than LR, so that shouldn't matter, right?

where do i find .icc profiles? wouldn't i only use one (assuming i only use one kind of paper)?

i looked in my printer popup window & didn't see anything in there about color management. :dunno:

thanks!!

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The first thing you need to do is determine whether it's your monitor or printer that is off. Then you need to fix that.

In order to do that, you want to take a b&w test print, such as this on:

http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_bw2.jpg

and open this image. Does it have a color cast on your monitor? If you really are experiencing a green cast on your prints, if the monitor was off, you'd be seeing a red/orange hue on the monitor.

If it does have a red hue, then your monitor is off, meaning that you're correcting for a red that doesn't exist, causing your printed image to have more green. You will need to correct this.

This means going out and getting yourself a color calibration unit, and using it. I think that color calibration is one of the most important parts of printing, and see it as an asset, not a waste of $100. The Huey is a decent one, and if you leave it connected, it monitors the light in the room and adjusts your monitor for ambient light, which helps if you get a mixture of light sources...

Then print the image, with NO modifications. Does the image still have the green hue? The image is completely neutral. If your print is not, then your printer needs to be calibrated. You will either need to find and download a profile for your printer/paper combo, or have one made. There are various web sites that can make profiles for you, but they are paper dependant.

Or, you can make a curves adjustment layer that gets rid of that hue, and save it, then apply it to your image before you print. Your image will look like shit in your monitor, but who cares, as long as it prints correctly.

Now, lets say you test this, and the print comes out fine, and you think the monitor is fine.

Then, it's your eyes. What I would do in this case, is open up an image you have previously color corrected, and start a curves layer. Double click the white eye dropper so the color picker comes up, and then click in an area you expect to be white. Like trim on a house window, a piece of paper, a white car, etc. When you click on this, you'll see the color picker area populate with numbers. Look a the LAB color area. L is the lumonisity, and hte A/B are colors. if those areas are not both 0, then those whites are not white. Set them to white, but don't touch lumonisity, then click ok. Next, while still having the white eye dropper highlighted, click back in the same spot that you identified as being white.

This will eliminate all color cast, without changing the lumonisity. it also removes the same amount of color casting throughout the rest of the image. How's your image look now? Save and print the image with this change, and compare the results.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Because you dont only use it once. You should calibrate your monitor every couple of weeks as they do shift. LCDs are better at not shifting than CRTs, so if you have a CRT you should do it every other week at least, if you have an LCD you can do it every month to two months and be ok.

Oh and a decent one will run you several hundreds bucks at least. Dont buy one for a hundred bucks.

6. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The pantone huey will be perfect for 99% of OT.

I have the huey, eye one and monaco Optix, and the difference between them is minimal.

The constant monitoring of the huey is also very useful, and not available in the others.

7. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

:eek3:

oddly enough, that makes complete sense.

I just found an ICC profile for my printer & the paper i'm using, and printed out another shot. It looks substantially better than the one i printed yesterday. :cool:

i'll look into a calibration gizmo.

thanks a lot for the help everyone

8. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

one more question ... pantone huey or pantone huey pro?

is the big deal that the pro will do multiple monitors? any other reason to get it? I only have one monitor.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The pro has additional color patches that it reads and individual selections for gamma and brightness and shadow detail.

The pro is $100. Thats actually the one I was referring too. I wasn't aware they had a cheaper model.

But don't get me wrong, either one would put you in a much better place than you are now.

10. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

cool. maybe i'll order one up tomorrow. probably not a bad idea.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

I have a cheepo one I will sell if anyone wants it, its the same calibrator as the sypder 2 IIRC, just different software.

Bought a gregtag/macbeth eye one 2 so I don't use the other one

12. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

ifl thanks.

13. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

which one do you have? How much do you want for it?

i wonder if anyone local will have the huey pro for sale.