Can someone just give me a list of products to buy? :noes:

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by EgoFalter, Mar 6, 2008.

1. EgoFalter

EgoFalter Say 'Ariloulaleelay'. It's fun

I've read the EDU's. Thanks so much for all the time it takes to put those together. But I'm still having trouble determining exactly what I should get with the variety of choices presented.

What I'm hoping is that you guys could list exactly what I should buy for detailing and washing/waxing my car's exterior from start to finish. Assume I'm a blank slate. A single shampoo, single wax, single swirl remover, etc.

My car's a black Z06. I have some rain spots that couldn't be entirely removed by a detailer last year, lots of swirl marks, and a few minor scratches. I use the Mr Clean Autodry and Zaino product line, but I'm looking to ditch the Zaino and possibly the Autodry if you think I should.

Or is this an unreasonable request? I just feel kinda overwhelmed and am hoping for something more definitive. :x:

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I've had pretty good luck with the Pinnacle Twins on GM black. Also, the 3M swirl mark remover and ultrafina 3000 are great products. Carnauba Moose on black is nice. I've done a black Ram with Natty's Red and it looked good.

A lot of guys here use ONR. I use it some, but I prefer a traditional wash, mainly because I like to water rinse the whole car, carrying leaves and dirt out of cracks and crevices.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Honestly, with a Corvette, you really need a rotary to get it swirl free.

Meguiars #105 with LC twisted wool for heavy swirl removal
    Optimum Compound with a foam polishing pad to step down from #105 or for lighter swirls
    3M Ultrafina with the blue Ultrafina pad or a LC 6.5" finishing pad (black, I think) for the final polish
    Clearkote's Carnauba Moose to seal, Optimum Car Wax (the new version) for monthly maintenance

4. EgoFalter

Thanks for the info.
    Are these the pads you're referring to?

3M™ Perfect-It™ Hookit™ Foam Polishing Pad 05726, 3 in
    [​IMG]

3M™ Perfect-It™ Ultrafina™ BLUE Foam Polishing Pad, 05733, 8 in
    [​IMG]

And this one's flat... is this what I need?
    [​IMG]

8.5 inch 4 Ply 100% Twisted Wool Compounding Pad
    Item #: LC-41-015
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  5. EgoFalter

Also, could you please recommend a rotary and any accessories I'd need?

edit - it looks like I'll be getting the 9227C

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  6. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

No offense intended, but if you don't know what you're doing, do you think you really want to attack your car with a rotary? IMO that's kind of like asking what kind of screw driver you need to rebuild your engine.

You might just want to look into getting a good detailer in your area to get rid of your swirsl and then learning proper washing and drying technique to maintain your paint after they make it swirl free. Then you'll really only need QD's, wash, and wax. A full detail will probably be cheaper than buying a rotary, all the pads, product, ect.

Just a thought!

7. EgoFalter

No offense taken. Is it that much of a risk if I train myself on my beater car first? I realize it takes skill to operate a rotary effectively, but is it that difficult to learn?

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I don't know how difficult it is to teach yourself, I don't use one. I imagine it's like most things though, if you have self control and can follow instructions it shouldn't be that difficult.

9. EgoFalter

Are you referring to the Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafina SE?
    Also, with the Meguiars 105 and Optimum Compound, should those both be used with the rotary? Is there a specific brand of polishing pad I should use with the Optimum?

10. danponjican

danponjican New Member

I would go with a SYSTEM ONE Pro Kit and a rotary. Safe and very effective on harder clears like corvettes.

11. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

If you don't care if you accidentally burn through the paint on your beater, then by all means, go for it. But practice A LOT on the beater before you even get near the Vette with the rotary. Let me re-emphasize that:

PRACTICE A LOT ON THE BEATER BEFORE POLISHING THE VETTE!

12. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Heard from enough people on Autopia that System one isn't all it is cracked up to be and dusting is apparently a real issue. :dunno:

105 with wool
    Optimum Polish or compound with a polishing pad
    Ultrafina SE with the blue Ultrafina pad
    Wax

Definitely practice with a rotary, it is a much more powerful machine than a PC, UDM or Cyclo.