Can someone instruct me on a little laptop issue?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by -desi-pari-, Dec 17, 2008.

1. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Ok so, my old laptops screen isn't working, when i put the laptop on nothing comes on but all the button lights work fine and the laptop itself, just the screen remains blank.

I want to remove all my personal information from the hard drive and it's near impossible to do that since the screen is blown, i've tried plugging it in with my pc but that didn't work, i got a cpu message but nothing comes up.

IS there any way to delete my information from that laptop without going to some expert and paying a bomb?

2. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Not sure what you mean by this.
    If you tried to boot another PC with the laptop drive, then that usually doesn't work. What you want to do is connect the drive as a secondary hard drive to your PC, and access the data that way.

3. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

How would i do that?

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Were you able to connect the laptop's hard drive to another PC? If so, just leave the PC's normal boot drive alone and connect the laptop drive as a secondary.

If the laptop drive is SATA, and your desktop PC has SATA ports on the motherboard, then you can connect it directly. If the laptop drive is IDE, you can get a 2.5"-to-3.5" IDE adapter to connect the drive internally, or preferably a 2.5" IDE to USB adapter to connect the drive as an external hard disk. The adapters are cheap, usually less than $20 in the US.

5. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

That's the problem, when i try to connect the hardrive to the pc, the pc screen come up with an 'cpu input' message.

I think i need to purchase the adapter you mentioned.

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

How about plugging a monitor into the laptop?

7. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Did you bother reading? I tried that, it didn't work.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Did this mean you plugged an external monitor into the laptop? I read that as you tried to boot off the laptop drive with it in your pc. If not, I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you plugged in a monitor and got that CPU input, you probably have more problems than a busted screen.

Look around on newegg for an appropriate 2.5" hard drive enclosure (IDE or SATA). Down the line if you decide to junk the laptop, you can keep the drive as a backup drive.

What's the make and model of the machine? You should be able to find a replacement screen on Ebay if you want to fix it.

9. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

I just read my previous post, that was really rude :eek3: i apologise.

Basically it's an Acer Aspire 5100 series laptop, when i switch it on, it works BUT the screen doesn't come on at all.

I tried to use my PC screen to get all my information up but i got a red CPU input message. I shall try this again and post what happened. I think i might have to purchase one of those adapter things.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No problem ;)

I can't find any info on the CPU error... Is there a chance you can get into the BIOS?

11. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

No, the screen is totally blown. Nothing is showing up even when i plug my pc monitor into my laptop.

12. cougar_uk_2k

cougar_uk_2k New Member

Delete information from a laptop that's broken and will most likely not be used again? Unscrew the hardrive enclosure, pull out the hardrive, repeatedly hit it with a hammer. No more information?

13. -desi-pari-

-desi-pari- Guest

Great.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008