MIL can someone in the airforce help me?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by drewplusbrig, Jan 4, 2006.

1. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

my dad died a couple years ago and i am curious about what all of his ribbons were for, if anyone knows what some are, could you let me know?

thanks a lot..

here is a snapshot of them

[​IMG]

2. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

i found that on my own, but that doesn't really help me

1.) a lot of them arn't on it

2.) it doesn't explain what anything is for

3. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

when I was in highschool I did JROTC and stuff, but when my dad died I lost intrest in the military and went to college for nursing

I never really talked to him about what he did in the military, do any of the ribbons stand out? any cool stuff on there?

I know one is the purple heart, and the 2 things are clusters right? so he got the purple heart 3 times?

4. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Bronze star with valor 1 oak leaf cluster, Meritorious Service Medal 1 oak leaf cluster, Air Medal 2 oak leaf cluster, Joint Service Commendation Medal 1 oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal 2 oak leaf cluster, Army Commendation Medal, What looks to be a purple heart 2 oak leaf cluster, Presidential Unit Citation 1 oak leaf cluster, Air Force outstanding unit with Valor 2 oak leaf cluster, Air Force outstanding unit with valor, Air Force Good conduct 4 oak leaf cluster, Army good conduct 5 knots

Ok, after doing just those medals it's hard not to call bullshit. Not the fact that he wouldn't have them, but the number of good conduct medals from the AF and Army doesn't add up, and there are various other things in there. Looks like your father was wearing shit he shouldn't be.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

The campaign medals tell a lot of what doesn't belong.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Top to bottom left to right (a lot are not in correct order of precedence.)
    OLC=Oak leaf cluster IE. multiple awards
    Top row: Bronze star with Valor device and OLC, Meritorious Service Medal, Air medal w/ 2 OLC
    2nd row: Joint Service commendation w/OLC, AF commendation medal w/2 OLC, Army commendation medal.
    3rd row: Purple Heart w/2 OLC, Presidential Unit citation w/ OLC, AF outstanding unit award with V and 3 OLC.
    4th row:AF organizational excellence award with V, AF good conduct medal with 4 OLC, Army GCM with 5 knots, WWII victory medal
    5th row: Navy American Campaign medal, National Defense Service Medal with campaign star, Korean Service Medal with 2 campaign stars, Armed Forces expeditionary medal with 2 campaign stars
    6th row: Vietnam service medal w/ 3 campaign stars, AF longevity service award w/ 2 OLC, NCO PME graduate ribbon, AF Small Arms expert with campaign star
    Bottom row: UN service medal, Vietnam Gallantry Cross unit citation, same as last but with correct gold border and palm, Vietnam Campaign medal.

I hate to sound mean, but there is some wierd shit going on there. According to those he was in both the AF and Army for a long time and served at least a year in the Navy/Marines/CG during WWII. It says he was in WWII, Korea, and did multiple Vietnam tours. They are not in the correct order and there are V devices and stars on awards that I'm pretty sure aren't authorized those devices.

7. eter

eter New Member

you getting ready to wear these at a wedding to impress jane doe or something ? ;)

8. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

So you guys are saying his fruit salad got tossed?

9. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

He was also Secuirty Forces (Civilians read: COP)

10. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

This site is useful for future reference:
    http://www.armyawards.com/awards.shtml

I have seen AF guys wearing so much fruit salad, they walk sideways, wtf is up with that? I know they get purple hearts for papercuts and shit, but do they really need a shoe-tying ribbon?

11. jung918

jung918 Member

why not? they get one for graduating boot camp.

12. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

well i won't try to hard to convince anyone since i really don't care what people think, but this is what i do know

he was in the navy, then i don't really understand what my mom was telling me, but it sounds like he was in the army air corps before there was an "air force"

he was in th air force for 28 years, and over the ( many ) years he served he was in WWII, korea, and vietnam ( for 4 tours )

edit:

also, he got something for driving a jeep of munitions away from his troops after someone tossed a grenade in the back of it ( in vietnam )

the grenade ended up being a dud and it's in some place in texas on display

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  13. drewplusbrig

drewplusbrig Guest

CMSgt

he was 77 when he died in march 03