can someone hurt me with my ip address?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by the_padawan, Jul 8, 2004.

1. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

Some kid figured out my IP address through aim and threatens to harm my computer. Is this a serious threat?

I can't help but think that IP addresses are too easy to figure out and therefore it can't be that dangerous or else hackers would rule the world.

My instinct is to call my isp. Is there a good way to maybe find this kids ip/isp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Mar 14, 2000
    They can DDoS you which would simply cause you to lose internet access. Your ISP would know about this attack though. Other than that, make sure your computer is locked down and if in doubt, off.
  4. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

People have threatened to "hack" me on many occasions and NONE of them have actually gone through with it. Most likely he doesn't know the first thing about breaking into someones computer.
  5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Nov 13, 2001
    ahhh the good old days of Netbus and Sub7.

I remember when our computer lab at school got over ran by that stuff in grade 12 because of us (well 3 of us). Library too. And I was the student tech who spend 1 block (8 easy credits) a day for each semester (2 of them) cleaning and maintaining the computers.

lets just say i always had a NICE long lunch :big grin:

those were the days.
  6. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

Sep 19, 2003
    if someone knows the ip address you are using and is targeting you, they may be able to compromise your system if it is vulnerable. a/v and patches were already mentioned. you should also disable unnecessary services, rename the administrator account to something else, and don't launch attachments of emails when you don't know what they are.
  7. the_padawan

the_padawan Guest

Thanks guys for all for the replies. I have windows updated and I'll rename the admin account shortly. I hope this guy is bsing.

Thanks again,
    the padawan
  8. zero xeal

zero xeal Guest

tell him hes a lame script kiddie and that the pr0gz he downloaded aren't going to work, then tell him to stop cybering 10 year olds in aol chat rooms.