Can someone help me with weight training?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by wilson fisk, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilson fisk

wilson fisk BE EASY!

I am new to lifting weights and need a little guidance. Basically, I am looking to burn fat and lose more weight with the help of weight training. Since march 2005 I have lost 60+ pounds and I am currently at 280. I do HIIT cardio 3 times a week, follow a strict diet and I am currently looking to add lifting into my weekly routine. I just need some help on where to start as in what weights should I start with, what type of routine is good to start with to follow and exactly how "reps" and "sets" work. I am 22 years old and 5' 11", 280. Any suggestions?

2. SteveO

SteveO Guest

the earth is not flat, we learned that a very long time ago

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Stickies.

4. wilson fisk

wilson fisk BE EASY!

I read them, but I am mainly looking for someone to help me with a routine to follow and how much I should start lifting with.

5. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

no one on this board can tell you how much weight to lift, you've gotta do that part on your own

6. Mojo

Mojo New Member

im not sure, but i believe ive read somewhere if you are trying to gain muscle, you do 3 sets and 8 reps, meaning you WILL struggle that last rep out.

i read "iron man" and other fitness magazines at the local safeway, they could have some basic info on what to do for each section. iron man did biceps for this months issue i think.

7. wilson fisk

wilson fisk BE EASY!

I am basically looking to burn fat, not turn the fat into muscle. I am VERY new at this.

8. incubimmer

incubimmer New Member

your already doing cardio and stuff to lose weight, any lifting will only improve upon caloric loss so there is really no wrong way to go in your situation. lift as much as you can 3-4 sets 6-8 reps working either to or almost to failure and yer good to go. oh and dont just do bi's and abs, work the whole body but different parts each day. make sure u have at least a gram of protein/lb if you dont want to lose as much muscle in the process. im sure something i said there wont sit right w/ christophers or cavefish or the like so im sure there will be a correction in what i just said.:hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.