can someone help me w/ a decent back routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by crucialkc, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

This is my current routine:

Pull-ups
    Lat Pulldowns
    Rows
    Deadlifts ... I never feel these in my back at all.. I understand it's mostly a leg exercise??
    BB Power Shrugs

My back is weak as shit

2. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

you're doing something wrong if you dont feel it in your back :rofl:

3. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

you're probably squatting the weight up if you are feeling deads mostly in your legs.

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

i would but my back sucks

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

you understand wrong. dead lifts is all lower back. like chris said, if you feel it in your legs you are doing it wrong.

6. crucialkc

fuck.... can someone help elaborate then please? i've looked at bodybuilding.com and that exrx place but still obviously don't understand correctly

7. nitak

nitak New Member

Wide grip pullups (weighted)
    db or bb rows
    deadlifts
    Pullovers

For deadlifts i like to place my feet around shoulder width apart. bent knee slightly, keep lower back straight and look forward. You should feel it in your lower/middle back, and hamstrings if done correctly.

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

lat pull downs are like pull ups with adjusted weight. There's no sense in doing both.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Truth I'm a 1-month-noob to deadlifts but I had been doing them with a wider stance at first, and basically all I was doing was squats... I started doing them with my feet shoulder width apart yesterday and my lower back and hams are sore as a mother fuck today :bigthumb:.

10. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

its hard to explain in words really, but just make sure when you pick up the weight, you are not lifting it up with your legs... keep your legs locked at an angle that feels comfortable and keep your back straight and flexed, try to look at yourself in the mirror to make sure you are keeping your back straight (and for motivation) you should be able to tell which muscle group is getting worked, mess around with it until you can feel it in your lower back

11. TOAD

TOAD New Member

I like the seated cable rows. Worked well for me. I know most people here don't like Hammer Strength machines but there was one I liked at my gym. It was a back row you could do either with both arms at the same time or one at a time. Also t-bar rows.

12. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Deadlifts, good mornings, bent-over rows, pull-ups etc

13. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

Honestly the best thing I have found when specifically inducing growth is heavy weight and intense workout.
    If I were you I would make try train my back twice a week if its lacking that much. Deadlift HEAVY(about 6 sets total - 2 warmup, 4 working weight), and then superset seated cable rows with lat pull down (also using the narrow bar). That should be under a 30 minute workout that you would be dripping in sweat and sore as hell. Spend the other 30 minutes EATING.

You arent going to get stronger unless you rip the muscle and feed it. If you are having trouble with this ( I assume you are a newbie lifter ) all the fancy dancy excersizes in the world arent going to help you... stick to the basics and lift weights in a manner you cannot fuck up, and you can always work the muscles. Concentrate on eating as much as you do on lifting.

14. crucialkc

when you are going to lockout at the top, do you "suck in" your hips kind've like you do when doing SLDL's?

i AM just squatting the weight up, you guys were right..

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  15. Ceaze

16. Ceaze

Also, the closer you put your feet together the more back you'll hit. The farther apart you spread your hands, the more back it'll work.

17. Chris3G

also notice the lack of vertical hip movement prior to the bar coming off the ground.

18. crucialkc

thank you for the link, but is he going down far enough? I thought you go down pretty much to legs parallel.. so that guy is doing a DL somewhere between a deadlift and a SLDL?

19. Ceaze

that is a proper conventional deadlift

20. crucialkc

what do you mean? are you just saying that the hips only move after the bar is off the ground? i don't understand the point of you saying that.. not trying to be a dick, I sincerely just don't understand.

21. crucialkc

wow I had no idea... I thought it was supposed to look like this at the bottom. The guy in the vid you sent me's back is more parallel to the ground though, right?

[​IMG]

Also are proper conventional deadlifts close enough to SLDL's to just do one of them, or should I do both of them still? (one on leg day, one on back day)

22. Ceaze

When you see someone who has their butt low at the beginning of the lift, their hips rise up higher before the weight comes off the ground. That's wasted movement.

23. Chris3G

right, there is no wasted movement. I think if you search around for videos, you will see in many of them that the person begins the lift, their body starts to move upward, and THEN shortly after the bar begins to come off the ground.

what normally happens when you squat down to much in the starting position, is that you start the lift moving your hips upward before anything happens to bar on the ground.

in the video, you can see that his starting position is such that the force from his initial upwards movement is immediately placed upon the bar.

24. crucialkc

Okay, so in the pic I posted, the guy is doing wasted movement because his hips are down too far and the bar won't move up before his body moves first? Also, should I do SLDL's AND these types of deadlifts on separate days or should I just do one of the two since it looks like they are pretty similar?

25. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

I always had my hips rise before the bar rises and I don't necessarily feel it is a "wasted" movement. I always felt that it helped with strength off the floor. But I'm still noob so maybe not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.