Can someone help me v. data recovery

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ore, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Ore

Ore OT Supporter

Hello my computer was running terribly slowly for some time as it is an older machine I tried to do a non destructive system recovery that would keep my documents and such but wipe the rest of the hard drive. Now I can't access the data that i tried to save i keep getting an access denied message and I have tried all the things that the microsoft help page told me to do this is my last resort and i really have no idea what to do.

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

What operating system etc?

I'll assume Vista, you have to take ownership of the folders which would require an admin account. It's basically a pain in the ass.

3. awns729

awns729 New Member

booting wiht a linux live CD would probably let you access it, it worked for a similar problem i had.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Sounds like a permissions problem to me.

Is the username/password you used before you wiped everything the same as what you have now?

5. Ore

Ore OT Supporter

it is definetely a permissions problem i will try and set my password to what it used to be before i did the recovery and if that doesn't work booting with linux seems like a good idea im running xp btw thanks for the help guys

edit i know nothing about linux can someone point me to a good version to dl and burn to cd for this purpose?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

you can get around the permissions problem by taking ownership of the files. You need to disable simple file sharing, which will allow you to take ownership and then fix your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421